Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Black & White and Red all over


This unveiling is so exciting!  Maybe we should move to every two months, now that we're getting the hang of it?

When I started to think about my quilt the Red Shirts were barricading themselves in Bangkok.  And trouble was brewing.  Red is my favourite colour - I think of it as a cheerful thing, lively, energetic, and full of promise.  But throughout our modern history it is a colour that is associated with violence, evil, and oppression.  Which got my goat a bit.  

I've used my fabric that I made during a Rayna Gillman workshop on gelatin plate printing, and the red is my own dyed fabric.  I've embroidered a variety of names such as red shirts, red brigade, khmer rouge, red guard, seeing red, red square, and then racking my brain for the last:  rackham le rouge.  A little humour never hurts.  



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow-ee! Powerful stuff - and very appropriate. Great to be able to use fabric made in a workshop as so often it lies unloved in a drawer. Perfect opportunity.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent choice of both fabrics. well combined. the writing is well placed. well done dianne - a meaningful piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no no to every two months! Love the quilt tho', Diane. M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabric gave me the feeling of chaos and blood of conflict. Your words totally conveyed the piece with an "up" flourish. Clever!

    ReplyDelete