Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

'The Soccer World Cup is in South Africa and I'm in Canada!

The title of my piece is 'Seeing Red' or 'The Soccer World Cup is in South Africa and I'm in Canada!'

Having enjoyed watching soccer in the pre new South Africa days, I have felt very forlorn and homesick since the start of this world cup tournament.

Red, for me is a colour symbolizing South Africa - red earth (Alan Paton), passion, sunsets, birth of a new nation, blood stained earth, aids, rape and murder. Red is the colour of envy - envious of those watching the soccer!

My background fabric is red cotton. I printed on it using wooden stamps from Africa and 'Zebo', a black polish traditionally used to polish black coal stoves in South Africa. I quilted it with nylon thread. The leaves down the left were printed on cotton. I placed a piece of red tulle over the whole piece before quilting. I tried to simulate pebbles in my quilting - earthy and African. I fused the binding on using BoNash - haven't done this before. Used a scalloped rotary cutter - also a first.

I enjoyed making this piece!





Pam

7 comments:

  1. I love the use of your stamps and the Zebo. It is reminiscent of the fabrics that we saw there with the stylized leaves (shields?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having a real memory trip day. I'm fascinated by your use of Zebo - let alone the fact that you had some. Did you have to heat set it? It seems to have stamped really well.
    A great piece - nicely balanced and very African!

    My apologies for the typo - now corrected.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use zebo a lot in my work. whenever i go back, zebo is on my list. it is a 'black' black and also very symbolic. i have never heat set it. it is very runny, sometimes i mix it with a bit of gel medium, other times, i use it neat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The use of your "red associations" with the struggles of South Africa along with the cultural stamps, dyes and symbols convey the authenticity of this piece. Zebo?!? Who knew? Is it only available in South Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. just googled 'zebo.' the original as i know it, is south african. there is another version made in the uk. would be interesting to compare. thanks for your comments venetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some zebrite in the UK. Bought it about 30 years ago when we installed an old cast iron stove in our kitchen. Think the original tube is still in the stove, and is used about once every five years to re black the stove. Never thought to try it for anything else. I presume this is the same stuff, though I don't know if it is still for sale.

    ReplyDelete