Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

The Lou Ruvi Center

I was very dubious about this challenge when it was first announced, but as soon as I started looking at images I got quite excited. It is a branch of arcitecture I had always been fascinated by, but never known what it was called. My first thought was to use the building featured on the latest series of a British TV show, Grand Designs, where a private individual had a house designed and built which looked more like a museum than a home. Like most deconstuctive artitecture it was a building you loved or hated. Then I found a picture of the Lou Ruvi Center and changed my mind.
I loved the curves and windows on this building, and I knew I had some fabric that was perfect for it's metal sides. My problem, from a construction point of view, was that the fabric frays extremely badly which is not ideal for raw edge applique, especially on a synthetic fabric where you can't use a really hot iron on the fusing layer. I solved this by using a new technique (to me) of cutting the Steam-a-Seam to the exact shape before fusing it on the first layer, then leaving a small seam allowance when cutting out and folding this back over the edges, using the inherent stickiness of the layer to hold it together before fusing it over the backgroup and windows - a sort of turned-edge reverse applique using a fusible layer. It was fiddly, made worse by my hestitancy to iron on the Steam-a-Seam at too hot a temperture due to the fabric having a tendency to shrink, but on the whole I was pleased with it, and will experiment further. My only regret is that I haven't pushed the design further away from the original building - but that is something I still find incredibly difficult. As soon as I start working on a piece like this the engineer in me takes precedent over the artist and I want to create something that is true to the original, and satisfies basic rules of construction.

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd have had the patience but your technique. I really like the near monochrome pallette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, that should have said your technique really works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a process but all's well that ends well. The simplicity of the lines and shapes all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly rose to the occasion in this instance and although you had trouble with the fabric you used it turned out to be absolutely perfect and I can understand why you persevered as it has turned out so well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that your piece and mine look very similar - not sure if they are! Like your interpretation and the process story. The twirls in the sky are eye-catching and look like Free-motion quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the foreground and sky choices work super well to accentuate the, to my eye, drunkeness of the building! It seriously makes me feel a little wave of motion sickness looking at it! Very successful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief, Linda. You deserve a medal for struggling on with your technique! it has worked so hats off. I find this building very disturbing, both inside and out and question whether as a 'centre for brain health' it has a quietening effect of people visiting!!! Think maybe the architect needs to go for treatment...
    Anyway, well done and it is impressive. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a journey Linda, thanks for sharing your technique. Perseverance = results. Great monochrome colours. Very interesting piece.
    "The drunkenness of the building", spot on description, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely constructed Linda despite the problems. And I like the quilting and choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time I saw a photo of this buiding, I didn't realise that it was a photo, thinking that it was a painting or model, as I didn't think that anyone could possibly build anything like that. I didn't think it would be possible to make a quilt of it either! Congratulations on your brilliant interpretation, especially after the problems you had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finding a new technique!Like me, I also encountered some problems when I was working on my work, but after I solved it, I found it especially meaningful and the more I did it the happier became. Linda, don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete