Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

 Study in Blue

 Deconstructivism – What a word! What a challenge! It took me 2 months to find a picture or composition that I felt I could interpret as a Fibre Artist.

  

                          

                 

 Once I had my picture and had enlarged it, I traced off the different ‘buildings’ onto cardboard and then onto a thin but firm batting so that I could work each ‘building’ separately and then place them together.

 

                           

 

The sky effect eventually ‘gelled’ after the 4th ‘audition’!  I used Oil Pastels and a variegated Japanese thread over the mottled sky.

 



The ‘definition’ cording thread was Ink – dyed.

The blue Chiffon, here and there, added some ‘bling’ to the buildings.

Had to add a bit of embroidery in the way of grasses against the one building.

 


 

Really an interesting challenge – perhaps I will redo the picture in a different colour one day!

 

Allison

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Fascinating seeing your process,your mediums and what an amazing result. Your sky went from darkish in the middle pics to light blue in your final. Was that the auditioning in process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky went from light to dark and then, back to a different blue which I had dyed years ago. I rather liked the dark, foreboding sky but then the buildings didn't stand out enough. It's exciting trying out different fabrics - some work and some just don't work!

      Delete
  2. When I saw a photo of this building, I thought it looked as though a giant had smashed it's fist into it, and wondered how anyone could possibly translate it into a quilt. Now I know! What a brilliant interpretatiion. Well done Allison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jinnie. It was the picture which most appealed to me when I was searching through many 'building' pictures. Once I started 'fabricating' it, I saw beautiful but gentle curves on most of the buildings. It was a headache finding the picture in the first place!

      Delete
  3. Well done Allison on a well thoought out method of constructing all the pieces and everything turned out so well. It took me a couple of months of research and thought to get to the final piece as well. Your sky looks so good and your buildings very well executed. Well done on a really good piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. I included the 'process' photo's as I thought it would be interesting for all to see how I got to the final piece.

      Delete
  4. Love this. Which building is this - there's a strong resemblance to the one I choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It appears that this theme was a real challenge for all of us but your piece portrays the theme exceptionally well. Thanks for sharing your process from the beginning to the final piece. Most interesting to read about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your piece a lot but what I like even more is seeing how you approached such a tricky subject. I have learnt from that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An amazing building. Well done on your careful choice of fabrics and the method you applied. It all comes together. Lots of thoughtful decisions and details. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems to have been a particularly challenging challenge, taking us out of our comfort zones for both inspiration and creation. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again ditto to the above. Love it, thanks for sharing your process, Allison. Another drunken building..... I can't help wondering how it is to be inside one of those buildings;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for showing your process. You've captured the feel of the Lou Ruvo centre beautifully.

    ReplyDelete