Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

SYDNEY HARBOUR DECONSTRUCTED

SYDNEY HARBOUR DECONSTRUCTED

ARTIST: Nature

______________________________________________________________________________

I googled deconstructivism and came across the magnificent Heydar Aliyev Center in Azerbaijan. It immediately made me think of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. One thing led to another and I thought about how climate change - rising temperatures and sea level - might affect Sydney Harbour. 


I flipped the image (which I got off Shutterstock) around to reflect the positioning of the Opera House (the side of the Centre) and the Bridge (the main part of the centre).



So, here we have it, Sydney Harbour caught in the process of being deconstructed by nature - or rather, the shortsightedness of humanity. The Opera House and the Harbour Bridge succumbing to blistering heat melting into the harbour which is, at the same time, rapidly rising to engulf these iconic structures.








10 comments:

  1. I found that wonderful building too when I was looking for inspiration. Brilliant idea to apply it to the Sydney Opera House, and to relate it back to climate change. I do love your choice of fabrics for the burning sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my research I kept being drawn to the Sydney Opera House as well but finally did an about turn. Great interpretation and thought behind it. Fabric choice spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too honed in on the Sydney Opera House when I was trying to get inspiration for this challenge. Well thought on on so many levels and you have risen to the challenge so well in this piece - not only in your interpretation of the subject but to the fact of the environment and climate change. Your fabric choices and colours certainly give an added emphasis to your piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece Amanda. Those fabrics you have used for the 'burning sky' certainly look like Bali fabrics. Well done for thinking 'out of the box' in relation to Climate change and what could happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting take on the global warming situation we find ourselves in. What a beautiful building the opera house is and before this challenge I had no idea it fitted into this category of modern architecture.A very well thought out piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on, Amanda! So very 'of the present time'. I love that you included our own destructiveness in your piece. Great choice of fabrics. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lot's to look at and think about in this colourful piece Amanda. The stark silhouette against the vivid background works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea, Amanda! I too looked at Zaha Hadid's wonderful building, and wanted to use inspiration from the only building she designed in Denmark (Ordrupgård Museum). Only I couldn't find any way of executing it.
    Never in a million years would I have thought of looking at the back of the Heydar Aliyev building and think: This could be The Opera House deconstructed if the image is manipulated.
    Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your interpretation with the theme of global warming. It's very effectively and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I strongly agree with the main idea of your work. I can also understand it clearly from the work. It is a meaningful and beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete