Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

Royal Ontario Museum

 Since there is a great example of deconstructivism practically in my own backyard (well, in Toronto - I'm in Montreal) I thought I should use it as a stepping off point.   Here are a few pictures - one of the old building (from 1930) and 2 views of the new addition which has been named The Crystal.  




I drew my inspiration from the section on the top right of the building.   And I used a fabric that I had dyed as a background to represent the sky as I think that one of the ideas behind these glass additions is to allow it to disappear somewhat into the sky.  Not easy to see in this last picture but you get the idea in the second one.  




9 comments:

  1. Simple and very effective! I love the straight lines that hint at the craziness of the structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered whether you would use this building Dianne. I hadn't realised that it wasn't a standalone building until seeing your photo.
    I think you've achieved the right balance in this interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above. Perfect inspiration and great result. Is that a piece of snow dyed fabric? Perfect either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever Dianne. I too saw this but couldn't get my head around the whole juxtaposition of the addition and the old building. I would love to be able to see it in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you have focused on what for me is the best part of the structure and that being that it reflects that sky. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing building! I am beginning to think architects have all gone mad! I was wondering how our building regulations here would cope with adding such a completely unrelated addition to what must be in the surroundings.

    I love the simplicity of your take, Dianne. The lines are powerful and strong. Not too much, just perfect. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only agree with all the above; you have captured simplicity, something powerful, strong and perfect - great building too, although slightly dizzying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too can only agree with the above. I find the modern building a bit disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and clean work!Yet powerful!

    ReplyDelete