Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

Literal deconstructivism

I see that I'm not the only one to create work based on the Royal Ontario Museum. I can't say that Deconstructivism appeals to me but the lines of this building did inspire me.



Those of you who know my work will know that I find it hard not to offer up literal interpretations of my design source and this was no exception, but not necessarily as you'd expect.

I began by sketching out the many different planes of the building and looking at how the different materials were used to break up the planes, thinking all the time of how I could re-interpret the different shapes that I was sketching.

By coincidence I'd taken some quilts to show a small group locally, with some of my 12btd pieces including this one:

 Inter-tribal Quilt Song inspired by Alex Janvier

and that was when I had a light bulb moment. This piece was based on the work of different quilting tribes and styles and was created from parts of samples that I'd made over the years. Ka-Ching! 

I'd deconstructed the samples to make the quilt, so why not deconstruct the quilt to make a new one? A different but still literal take on deconstructivism.

I pared down my original design so that I had the various planes forming an irregular shape in the centre of the quilt, framed by a black background as is common in quilts. Then, recalling various definitions of deconstructivism I turned this typical quilt style around and put my colour work around the edge leaving the central area without colour:

Literal Deconstructivism


11 comments:

  1. Clever! What a good way to tackle the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deconstructivism in all forms including your quilts. Very smart and loved zooming in to see the various examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever Linda. I definitely could have gone with your idea and I think you have made a remarkable piece by changing what you had done previously and constructing something entirely different - deconstructing from one piece to another which was very well thought out. Isn't it great when one has a light bulb moment and everything falls into place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Linda B, would never have thought of doing a piece like that! Thanks for the 'background' story of your Deconstructivism - an Inside/out idea. Some of those pre-used fabrics look very interesting and exciting! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to all above! Great approach, execution and result. So interesting to hear about the process. Really like the initial small quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very you, Linda! Definitely 'out of the box' in more ways than one. Very brave of you to chop up what was a very special piece - not sure I could have done it. It perfectly symbolizes deconstructivism. Well balanced piece and I love the decision to move the colour to the edge leaving the centre quite dominant. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I add anything to all of the above, so very clever Linda! Without your inside story, I would never have guessed how one lead to the other..... Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Linda. My original idea was to take a traditional quilt square and add some "deconstruction" to it but I couldn't figure out how. I love how you managed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When this challenge was announced, I commented "Perhaps I might deconstruct one of my previous 12 by the dozen quilts, preferably one I don't like!" However, I finally decided that I couldn't, even one of my least favourite ones. Well done for having the courage to wield the scissors (or rotary cutter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess it's not my first time. One of my CQ Challenge entries was made in part, from a section of a traditional quilt and I've used the results of a traditional block swap to create a scroll quilt.

      Delete
  10. Yes, you went beyond the usual ideas and created a very beautiful piece of work. I admire your boldness in structuring a piece of work to create!

    ReplyDelete