Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

Stonehenge

I found this challenge perplexing, but keep coming back to the idea of the very first monolithic example of architecture that I could think of - Stonehenge. As this is my very last piece for this group I also wanted to carry on my personal objective of using images that I had taken myself, or that were very meaningful to me. Stonehenge satisfied both objectives. My mother (94 next month) went for a day out on her birthday, the year that my father died, to Stonehenge, and the photograpgh I have used was one taken on that day.
I pieced the background, deliberately making the colours more vivid than the photo (after my piece last time ended up far too drab) then fused the rocks on the top. There is a small mark in the centre which was a person in the background in the original photo. I included it to give an impression of the scale of these ancient stones. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have managed to use for this challenge. And, finally, thank you all for being a very inspirational group over the years since we first started, and for putting up with my very late postings for the last two challenges. I shall continue to follow the group with interest, and look foward to seeing where your next set of challenges will take you.

7 comments:

  1. Great interpretation and the vibrant colours are spot on. I particularly like the half circles over the rocks which reminded me of the aura I felt walking around. Sorry to see you go. Have loved the years of sharing and enjoying the pieces submitted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding the person was a good idea to give perspective. I like the colours and your quilting half circles do give a sense of the magic of the place. I will miss you - I have enjoyed your submissions and the stories that went with them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The variety of grey fabrics which you used for the stones were cleverly chosen and these increase the visual interest of this piece. I also liked the choice of rainbow style thread work in the sky which seems to 'enclose' the henge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to Stonehenge so it is great that you included the person for perspective. Awe inspiring. Really like the inclusion of the shadows too. All the best from here on in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good representation of these magical stones. Thanks for putting in the person for perspective. Liked the ring of mounds around the henge portrayed by the two greens. Great choice of fabrics for the stones. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really good representation of this heritage site as Hilary said. I really like your choice of colours and you have brought everything together beautifully including the quilted half circle. It has been great having you on our group and am sad that you are leaving us but I wish you all the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stonehenge was also my first thought, a mysterious building, and I was fascinated by its existence. I am glad that you have succeeded in bringing out the mystery of the Stonehenge. Momo

    ReplyDelete