Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

Petra

 Petra is an amazing place to visit to see all the rooms dug out of the hillside as burial tombs.  This was done by the Nabataeans during the period 30BC to 7AD.  To get to it one walks along a path that descends into a canyon with the walls getting ever closer together.  Then all of a sudden ahead is a shaft of light and you begin to see the monument called the Treasury glowing in front of you.  It's quite dramatic.   


I quilted the design on a white piece of fabric and then dug out my fabric paints which haven't been used in years and needed a little coaxing!  I really wanted to get the depth of this monument with shades of paint, but it was not easy and I decided at a certain point to leave well enough alone.  I have a shaky hand and I didn't want to mess the whole thing up with the fine work that needed to be done.  I hope that I have achieved the glow of the Treasury as one emerges from the canyon. 





8 comments:

  1. You certainly have achieved the 'glow'. Did you use shiny paints at all? One day I hope to visit Petra, and this just spurs me on to organise a trip (when the number of car club events dies down!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully captured. The glow draws you thru the break in the rocks. Well done on stopping when you did. I need to take some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am astounded at how people from long ago were so expert at creating these temples, hewn out of solid rock . You have shown so well the surrounding rocks and then the temple emerging ahead in the light. You must be delighted with the result

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Petra with a passion! I am so pleased to see it included and I am loving the memories your piece brings back. Just awe and amazement coming round through the rock walls and being confronted by the Treasury. Actually, the windows and door may the building look a little like I did - very surprised! This is another piece bringing warmth into my cold home today and one that I would really like to touch to feel the texture and energy of those walls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your interpretation, Dianne. The suddenous of arriving at the end of the gorge and the glow of the rocks in the sunlight all captured in your piece. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the glow is there. I have never been to Petra, but your quilt gives a good idea of what it must be like to arrive at the end of the canyon and see the Treasury.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have really captured the image you described in your introduction and it must have been a wonderful place to visit. Your quilting and painting are so well done and I think this is a piece to be proud of. Well done on the painting and I know exactly what you mean when you say enough is enough but is so hard to stop when you are working on a piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I accidentally discovered Petra's mysterious tomb in an American TV show and wanted to make a quilt with it as the main theme, but I was already working on my Stonehenge piece , so I had to give up. I admire you for bringing out the mystery of Petra, it's a deep work!
    Momo

    ReplyDelete