Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

Menhir


  The second quilt that I made after joining the group in 2014  was inspired by the neolithic site of Gavrinis in the Morbihan, Brittany: 


I decided to use the same source for this quilt, as I am still fascinated by the 5-6,000 year old carvings. I used a lino block, that I had developed from one of the motifs, to print the fabric.  I thought that it would be difficult to match up the black and white prints as they are handprinted, but it was a lot easier than I thought. I drew the menhir shape on tracing paper, overlaying it where I wanted it to fall on the background fabric, then  I traced the printed pattern and matched it on the black fabric before cutting the menhir out. I appliqued the menhir to the background, cut away the background beneath it, added batting and then quilted the menhir and couched the two motifs in silver. I added more batting and then quilted the background, so that the menhir would stand out from the quilt. It's not a very 'pretty' quilt ' (but then who says quilts have to be pretty!), though I like it, mainly because the texture makes me think of the carved stone: I keep running my fingers over it!
 
The site that I gave a link to in 2014 no longer exists, but you can find out more about Gavrinis here: https://cairndegavrinis.com/











 

9 comments:

  1. Great contrast between the monolith and the background. I also liked the repetitive style of thread work which you used throughout the piece. It has a peaceful feeling about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see that your lino cut design is from that area and it's very effective in it's repetition. I like the starkness of it- it evokes a feeling of something important from way back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Diane - this piece has a real presence. It feels like the stone is looming over you. How did you join the two pieces together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I appliqued the menhir to the background, cut away the background beneath it, added batting and then quilted the menhir and couched the two motifs in silver. I added more batting and the backing and quilted the background, so that the menhir would stand out from the quilt. My first reply was completely wrong (it's been a long day!).

      Delete
    3. I've altered the article, as I realised this morning that my description of joining the two pieces was wrong!

      Delete
  4. Love the use of your lino block for both background sky and the stone. Lots of atmosphere like mists rolling in off the Atlantic. I would love to be able to feel the texture, Jinnie. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the use of your lino block for both background sky and the stone. Lots of atmosphere like mists rolling in off the Atlantic. I would love to be able to feel the texture, Jinnie. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a quilt anymore, it's a work of art! I like it very much. I don't know how to make it, even though you've explained how to make it carefully. Momo

    ReplyDelete