Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

MONOLITHIC ROCK CARVING

 I researched Monolithic Architecture and in the end decided to create something of my own.  I found some hand dyed fabric which was suitable for my background, and then drew an elephant, as I wanted to depict it as a "carving" coming out of the background rock..  I cut some batting out of the shape of the elephant  and then attached the various pieces of the elephant's head onto the batting which I then glued onto the background fabric.  I did this to give the impression that it was standing out of the rockface and didn't look too flat.  The next step was to stitch it down.  It was then appliqued and quilted to give it more depth.






8 comments:

  1. I guessed this was your work before I scrolled down to see your name. Love the piece - the colours work perfectly with the elephant being both visible and looking as though it is part of the background at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cleverly done and those eyes although soft and gentle they follow you. Love your fabric choices. Beautifully quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful elephant - one of nature's monoliths! I like your idea and the quilting both on the elephant and on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the colours which you chose for the background and for the gorgeous elephant. Because of these colours the elephant definitely appears to emerge from the background rock . This is enhanced by your clever quilting . A super piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there's a novel idea! Love the elephant and the background rock. Are you tempted to keep chiseling away to bring the elephant to full life? Perhaps for a wildlife piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, love your comment about chiselling away to release the ellie from the rocks, Amanda. He is so lifelike that you can imagine it happening. Well done, Patricia. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of creating your own rock art. Your elephant is adorable and beautifully quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The themed elephant was a great success! I like that the lower half of the body is not fully represented, so that the feeling of slowly blurring adds some interest and mystery. Momo

    ReplyDelete