Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

CHARRED MOAI OF RAPA NUI/EASTER ISLAND

I am sure the moai of Easter Island need no introduction but what may not be so well known is that, in early October this year, many moai were irrevocably damaged by fires believed to be the work of an arsonist.

I have always found moai and the conjecture around their history to be fascinating. Now, looking at the damage caused by the fires, I feel quite emotional. They look burnt, sad and alone. 


For the sky I used a piece of ice-dyed linen that I bought (has anybody tried ice dying?) and the rest of the fabric from the many fabrics I inherited from mum. I did a bit of machine applique and tried FMQ. I got off to a roaring start with the FMQ - well, the machine kind of went by itself almost, and by the time I caught up and realised I was doing more of a water pattern than grass, it was too late! Anyway, I only started yesterday so it was a bit rushed but I am happy with the outcome all the same. Just had to resist the effort to give more definition to the face which fire had destroyed. Photo colouring not good but will replace if daylight produces something more accurate.

And, well, that was my swan song. I think I said all my thank yous etc when I notified my intention to finish at the end of this series but I will do a brief recap. Rosemary, I can't thank you enough for inviting me to this group. I have truly become more confident and creative as a result. Thank you to all members for encouraging feedback over the last 3 years and, finally, I wish you all the very best with your creative endeavours whether you are staying in the group or channeling them elsewhere. 

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!


8 comments:

  1. When I read about the arson on Easter Island I too felt very emotional. Something that had lasted so long, only to be disfigured by vandals! I love your piece, especially the fact that the face is so disfigured, and your choice of fabrics really works. A great piece to finish the series on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never get my head around the need to disfigure, burn, destroy historical things. It actually serves no purpose whatsoever. Captured beautifully. Wishing you all the very best. It has been such a pleasure seeing and enjoying your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We shall miss you Amanda . Your pieces were always thoughtful and thought provoking. I would not have noticed the water like quilting on the grass if you had not mentioned it ! How you managed to create such a great piece in a day . Wow! Enjoy your future creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great piece to end with Amanda. And nice to be able to use your mum's fabrics. I wish you well in your next adventures. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I had read about the fires. So sad. Your poor charred Moai captures the disfigurement of this ancient Maio so well. Choice of fabrics spot on. So sorry to lose you but your time spent with us has been such a pleasure. Go well, stay well. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sad to hear about the damage that has been done deliberately to these monuments. I like your choice of fabrics, and the ice dyed fabic makes a wonderful stormy sky. Best of luck for the future: may all your quilts be masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was very sad in regard to the vandalism. However your piece captures the mood so well. Perfect choice of fabrics and stitch work. Well done. So sorry you are leaving us as you always brought something new to us all and it has been so great having you in the group. Carry on being creative! Wishing you all the best for your future and a blessed Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful work! You've done a great job of expressing the sadness and loneliness of the Moal statue. Momo

    ReplyDelete