Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2022

ANT HILL

I have gone back to nature and used a monolithic architectural structure found freely in our open spaces the ant hill. In the Kruger National Park where we are off to tomorrow you can find quite large structures which in time become homes for other creatures such as hyenas, warthog, mongoose.  These mostly becomes large mounds as they age and are hammered by the weather and animals. Further south in the country in the more arid areas you will find the taller red earth examples which is where I have gone with my inspiration.


Whole cloth, quilted, free motion embroidered and then I went in with gesso, paints, and wool beads. As I was getting near to the completion of the piece I realized the beads were probably the wrong texture but it was too late. A case of less is better. I can live with it and it is growing on me. 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the subject, and I love the close up detail in your work, especially the stitched grasses. I might have been tempted to use a slightly darker colour for the ant hill, but there again, I've not seen one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those ant hills! Such works of art. It's nice choice and you've created a lovely one. I,too, love your grasses and (acacia?) trees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil I really like the rough texture of your anthill as it adds such interest to your piece. The anthill stands out very effectively against the background and the 'impression' of green trees in the background was such a good idea- giving depth to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to picture anthills! I am in awe of the Australian anthills - both magnetic and cathedral. I have never heard or seen evidence of them giving shelter to other creatures. I shall have to check that out next time I see them. I am intrigued by wool beads. I had never heard of them before. Something else for me to check out. Thank you. It is lucky I can't see this for real as I would want to touch the anthill to feel the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever twist on the theme. I am waiting to see one of those little hyena cubs stick their nose out of the burrow... Definitely the Savana with grasses, anthills and scrubby trees! Wool beads don't worry me - they're perfect for the 'beads' of mud the ants use to make the mound. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your original take on the topic. Never having been out of Europe, I have never seen one of these anthills. I've just been looking at some pictures, and you seem to have captured their texture. What are wool beads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always Phil you amaze me as to how well you think completely "out of the box" and give us all a different perspective on the subject. I love your idea that you used and these anthills are so monolithic standing proudly in their natural environment. The background of trees frame it beautifully and as Hilary said, the woolen beads are definitely part of the building process. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature's monolithic architecture, this is a unique idea! Is the pattern of the ant mound embroidered? Momo

    ReplyDelete