Pages

Thursday 1 December 2022

Through the eye of a needle and a camel...

 I have been on a 'trip around the world' procrastinating trying to decide on a subject.  Started with Great Zimbabwe - Great Zimbabwe | National Geographic Society , then closer to home with Stonehenge (obviously popular as two of you have chosen it), followed by pyramids and/or the Temple at Karnak with hieroglyphics before finally settling on Petra.  Dianne, I see you agree with me that it is spectacular and what a way to encounter it!

In my usual chaotic way, I have left it to the last minute.  I am heavily involved with two craft groups and the run up to Christmas means extra work.  I started my piece yesterday morning, had to break to go out for lunch and all the best laid plans etc, mean that I haven't finished it completely.

From the beginning I knew that I was going to print the facade of the Treasury Building.  I was really surprised and encouraged to find I had a large stash of fabrics that suited rock faces but when I started to use them, I realised that I needed so much more time.  Also, that they would work better in a much larger scale of piece.  So, I abandoned that idea and went with the simplest and most dramatic presentation.  But when I took a photo I realised I had made a horrible mistake with the left-hand edge of the passage floor.  Aaaagh!  It needed urgent surgery, hence being a day late to put it right.

Although it isn’t how I imagined the piece, I am quietly pleased with the result.  I used Prymm Fabric Printing Sheets and raw edge applique bonded down.  It will be machine quilted with a satin stitch edging.  The piece is small and measures 14.5” x 10”.

Through the eye of a needle and the camel


Architecture has been a fascinating and challenging theme, but I have enjoyed it.  After the Festive Season we will start again and have a serious discussion on the next series.

Hilary


7 comments:

  1. I love the needle, and the way the camel has managed to pass through the eye of the needle. Isn't it interesting how we have all (except for Rosemary) chosen to go for ancient buildings carved out of or manufactured from stone, rather than using any more of the modern interpretations of monolithic architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the ancient monolithic architecture is far more interesting than the modern!

      Delete
  2. I like the title, though I didn't notice camel until Linda mentioned it. Another good interpretation of the subject. I hope we get to see it when it's quilted. v

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your piece really captures the scene and after seeing your piece, would love to visit it. Looks so interesting and I do like your interpretation and would love to see it quilted as it will really stand out. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did not notice the camel until I looked more closely! Like the others I am interested to see what it looks like when quilted . You have made a great piece Hilary. It will be fun next year to start considering our next series

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to use a photo but was afraid the piece would be too small! Good for you for taking that route. And my photos had too many people! It's very nicely done Hilary and really does capture that narrow view which is one's first look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful ah! Looking forward to the next series! Momo

    ReplyDelete