Pages

Thursday 28 February 2013

Encore: Boathouses

Boathouses #1
I've used the theme of "Encore" to rework an earlier theme, the one that I proposed, Structures. My first take on the topic was to make a patchwork of copper squares and washers, hand-stitched to black cotton. It weighed a ton!

Now that I am so preoccupied by my Cityscapes theme, I'm looking at Structures in another way. This piece is inspired by a photo of boathouses, taken a short walk from Dianne's cottage. I love how crooked their lines are: they have so much character. I used low-immersion dyeing for the sky and arashi dyeing for the water, with more solid hand-dyes for the walls and roofs.

This piece is already earning its living as a class sample for a course I am teaching in March. I hope it will be the first of a series.

11 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, Heather, you have a winning formula here. Your concept is clean and precise and you know just how much to include and what to leave out - that takes skill.

    Interesting how the original structure has become more architectural. The series could go on and on forever.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the perspective, line and colour - very nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great subject for a series, looking forward to seeing more. Ahhh serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way your sky and water texture balance the solidity of the buildings. And the colours really add punch. Nicely balanced. i'm looking forward to seeing more of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another piece where all has been said. You work the colour so beautifully and simply into your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great new take on your architectural theme using your new arashi fabric.Can`t wait to see more in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What more can I say? Your artist's voice is speaking loud and clear in this series. The perspective in this one is so interesting. And I love your use of colour and the arashi fabric for the water. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all these comments. I love the way you add the lines, but not on the edge of the colours, it really makes the piece sing. Carry on with the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looking at the series of work that heather is creating gives me a serene kind of artistic happiness. quite a mouthful but that is exactly what it does for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The simplicity, the colors, the fabrics are highlighted by your black stitching that is just a little askew...makes your piece interesting and timeless. Bravo!! What is next in this series?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could happily live with this piece on my wall. It's simplicity is stunning, the imagery is so evocative of happy, warmer, times.

    ReplyDelete