Pages

Monday 31 May 2021

Yorkshire Drystone Wall

Thank you to Amanda for such a good theme. I had much fun with this, having clearly seen too many (if that's posible) TV programes from and about Yorkshire, so this design was in my mind from very early on.

Yorkshire Drystone Wall


At first I found it very difficult to choose between drystone walls and woven hazel/willow fences, being very fond of both. In real life I think willow is much easier to work with, than stone, having made a willow basket and some deer protectors for small fruit trees. But for my quilt the stones won! I have collected Colour Catchers for years, and it was nice to make a stash backed with heat'n'bond and get the sissors out. 

Detail



Cotton fabric, Colour Catchers ®, Heat'n'Bond ®, variegated cotton thread, acrylic paint and fern leaves for monoprinting.

Starting point

12 comments:

  1. The use of a variety of fabrics for the wall makes this look so realistic .I like the way you used raw edge applique with a simple stitch to hold it down .I was not sure why you needed to use "Colour catchers". I had not known about this product until Patricia told me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. The colour catchers are non woven and therefore do not fray. Also the old ones (I think they have changed the 'recipe') have a wonderful texture. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, colour catchers take on a whole new use. They have worked brilliantly for your stones. Truly lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This works really well. I love the feeling that the stone wall has started to collapse in one area, so much like the real thing. The texture of the colour catchers brings out the character of the stones really well, and I love the simple quilting in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have certainly done yourself proud in the way you have used the stones in the wall and created a beautiful design. Your quilting lines enhance the stones making the background soft and enhancing the wall itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour catchers make good stones. I love the way you have used your fern prints. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. I love the design elements - the stones, the flowing quilting lines and the fern leaf. I feel inspired to try mono printing and I am definitely going to check out Colour Catchers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, at first glance your stone fence looked real and I thought I was looking at the inspiration photo! Super job with your creation...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guessed this was yours Mai-Britt! You have the enviable ability to take the essence of a subject and make it your own. This piece is effective because of it's apparent simplicity - but we all know that simplicity is difficult to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stones are very realistic Mai-Britt. it's nice to be able to use some of these oddities that we save! And I like the use of the fern for printing. It's nicely composed too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is vintage 'Mai-Britt'. Beautiful. Love those stones, the sky, the quilting and the ferns! Would be happy to hang this in my house. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Mai-Britt, a lovely, clean-looking piece. Have never heard of Colour-Catchers and it sounds like a felt fabric!? Wonder if it's obtainable here, in Durban.

    ReplyDelete