Pages

Monday 31 May 2021

Graffiti Graffiti

 I thought I was not going to make it having gone through Plan A (piece inspired by Gaudi mosaics in Guelf Park, Barcelona, or a piece based on a photo I took of a fence on the coastal path along the Jurassic Coast, here in Dorset), Plan B (couldn't find the photo so started designed a mosaic wall with dolphin as a proposition for Poole Borough Council as a dolphin is their logo) and finally Plan C.

This was one of those lightbulb moments.  I was watching a SAQA presentation of their 50 quilts for 50 years + talks by Michael James, Valerie Goodwin and Katie Pasquini Masopust. 

https://tinyurl.com/3umz9r3t 

Katie's present style to incorporate paintings within a quilt of her painting got the idea started.  I remembered my Graffiti quilt from years ago and how that would be a good point to start from.  Then I had another idea to take the colour out of my quilted background to contrast with the original quilt.  I also decided not to reproduce the whole quilt again but to focus on my 'tag'.  I'm happy that it does not look like a Katie 'wannabee'.


So, my wall is a canvas: a place for opinion, revolution, leaving your mark, deviance, protest and just plain old artistic expression.

The bricks are fused to grey felt.  The tag is fused together and stitched in place.  The original quilt is a print on fabric.  Small white dots are acrylic paint.  Size 24" x 18".

All in all I'm happy (and I finished it a day early).

Hilary

12 comments:

  1. I love it, and feel almost happy that plans A and B failed. I like the slightly uneven layout of the bricks (even though our builder would be appalled), and adding the smaller image makes the piece. Brilliant and fun as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I winced when I laid those bricks out knowing they were not right but I only had small amounts of the black fabrics and tried to spread them the best I could. Trust you to spot the 'forced' mistake! H

      Delete
  2. It was a really good idea to incorporate a picture of a previous quilt. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to see your original Graffiti quilt again - a good reminder of happy times.
    As ever, I'm in awe of your workmanship

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it too Hilary. Makes me smile which is always a good thing! Have you seen Harvey Krumpet? It is an award winning short clay animation and is very amusing and sad - ultimately uplifting. Anyway, you may enjoy some of the graffiti in that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ClRsCpQfTQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever and a fun outcome. (you need to explain the use of the word?) How great are those sudden light bulb moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, 'strawbs' was my nickname when my hair was strawberry blond... H

      Delete
  6. What fun Hilary and you have used the subject so brilliantly - using a wall but adding to it so cleverly. I am always fascinated by Graffiti Art and this is so full of fun and it also looks as if you enjoyed doing it. We always learn something from each other and this method is something worth looking into. Well done Hilary and I too am glad that Plans A and B failed as this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Graffiti, Take 2, is great - I like the white surround and the B&W of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, I know where your dots are applied! They makes the work lively and bright! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most of did fences in our pieces but someone did a WALL! Fabulous Hilary and a good take on Graffiti which has become a much loved art form.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As soon as I saw it I knew it was your piece Hilary! Didn't you make a graffiti quilt for the Festival of Quilts? Your work is always fun, fascinating and finely executed.

    ReplyDelete