Pages

Monday 31 May 2021

WALLS AND FENCES IN SOCIETY

 I decided to go with the figurative with this challenge as fences and walls have featured literally in previous challenges of mine.  This piece is probably the simplest in all fields that I have done and yes the design is not unique, however, I think it makes the strongest statement of all my pieces.


My apologies as the pic is not the clearest.  I discovered too late this morning that I had not photographed it and have had to use my tablet. I will take a better shot later and replace it.

Walls are more permanent structures and shut out the problems or issues, fences can be readily moved or removed, however it is a public statement on where you stand on issues whatever side of the fence you are standing.  Unfortunately they are too easy to erect and very difficult to discard and often still leaving a mark.

Amongst many of these societal problems in the world, lock down has aggravated many of the problems in my country. Gender Based Violence is topping our list at the moment and it is very sad and very difficult to fix.

Very simple construction of whole cloth and hand appliqué .  I probably should have checked my pens also so might go over the writing to enhance it more. The fence stakes are painted lutradur and the wire brown ribbon.   I initially couched down the wire but it flattened the piece so they are now loose and the stakes are attached with simply.

13 comments:

  1. The apparent simplicity of this piece makes the message all the stronger - not easy to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strong and successful statement. The background really makes the hands stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, I really like where you have gone with the theme and the strong message. So true about how easy it is to erect a fence but harder to remove. Yes, you can remove them physically but it can take along time for the what they divided to be united. I am looking forward to the replacement photo as I am keen to read what you have written on the hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of an 'invisible' barrier. Great interpretation of the theme and I very much like the way you tackled it. (I kind of wished you hadn't quilted through the hands...) Pat on the back. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of agree about the lines thru the hands. I was in two minds but went with my gut feel. If not stitched it might have been an option to stitch the words on the hands. A case of hind sight!

      Delete
    2. Been there, got the t-shirt. How many times have I done something and then seen other options and wished I could change things... H

      Delete
  5. You have portrayed your statement of gender based violence in our country so very well. Well done on making a very strong statement so well. I too am interested in seeing the writing on the hands. Well done on an excellent piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece sends a strong message . So awful in this time of Covid that so much division and violence has taken place. Your creation of the fence is so well done and you must be glad that you left the wiring free and not stitched it down . Like others I am interested to read what you wrote on the hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's difficult to be one of the last to comment, all the previous ones have already said what I wanted to say. Great interpretation of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Mai-Britt, you've all said it all. I very much like this piece, and love the graduation of colours in the background which focuses your attention on the hands and their messages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very poignant piece Phil. I like how you composed it. And I like that you quilted through the gloves. It makes them be part of the background a bit -and isn't that what this problem all about- it's too much in the background where it can easily be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Phil. Very striking piece and certainly gets the message across! Perhaps you could have hand-stitched the hands then the stitching wouldn't have shown so clearly.....The back-ground fabric looks familiar - from Hanlie perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not from Hanlie but a very special piece made by Heide Stoll Weber that Hilary gifted to me a few years back.

      Delete