Pages

Sunday 30 May 2021

Ammonite Wall

 





  We have twice stayed in the same holiday cottage in the Morvan hills in Burgundy. It is situated in the Parc Naturel RĂ©gional du Morvan, and the owner of the cottage was involved in the founding of the park. There is a wall at  the entrance to the cottage, which is made from the local stone, and which includes two ammonites, one of which is about twenty centimetres across. I decided to use this as the inspiration for my quilt, making a lino print. The rest of the wall is also inspired by a photo taken in the Morvan, but I suspect it is not the same wall. I painted the wall first of all, adding the ammonites after. I used machine trapunto to make the ammonites stand out a bit more, but it hasn't worked as well as I would have liked. I have sparsely quilted the rest, just where the edge of the stones should be, though it was rather difficult to determine where that would be. 





10 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to have had wonderful ideas about fences and yours is the same. Getting your interpretation of the rocks with the ammonite fossils onto fabric must have been tricky but you managed it beautifully. Did you use acrylic paint ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an acrylic fabric paint. I applied a bit too much, making the fabric a bit stiff, and I had a problem quilting it. The foot kept slipping on the surface, playing havoc with the tension. I ended up using a teflon foot, which worke.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful! You have brought back memories for me of reading Remarkable Creatures - I book I really enjoyed. I really like the way you have combined the two walls. I have to say, I really feel like I want to run my hand across this wall and connect with the history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A difficult subject; I've tried portraying old stone walls in the past, and never succeeded as well as you have. I love seeing fossils in old walls and stones. It reminds me of visiting Rocamadour and walking up the steps which are full of fossils. A lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful wall. It would be amazing to see it for real, but your piece is an excellent second best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting choice for your wall and great execution. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jinnie your interpretation of the wall with the ammonite fossils which you have so cleverly worked into it is really great and well thought out and executed. Sometimes when working with thick sections gives our machines a mind of their own! Well done on keeping going no matter the odds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous depiction of the stones and love that you imprinted the outline of the fossils. So nice to see the ammonites being kept and displayed. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the history of our world...... like Amanda I would love to run my hands over those ammonites. A great choice of subject and a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have captured the sense of the wall really well with the ammonites, moss and lichen.

    ReplyDelete