Pages

Friday 31 May 2019

Remains of the Day

Right from the beginning I thought I would use this opportunity to see if I could depict glass in cloth.  I took this picture of the end of a bunch of tulips in a glass vase.



The process has made me really, really look at what is in the photo.  There were plenty of decisions along the way about the materials, fabrics and techniques to use.  Here is my offering.

Remains of the Day
The vase and stalks and leaves are appliqued fabric with a tiny bit of paint.  The tulip is my own embroidery design stitched out on my Bernina embroidery unit.  I may yet go in and add shadow to the stalks to make them more realistic.  But lesson learnt is: do not get excited and rush into a project until you are sure you have all the tools and materials you need.  I ran out of Bondaweb and so a lot of the edges are a bit whiskery.  Fusible would have stopped that.

(I have just got back from a meeting of my local art quilt group and the quilt needs another press but I was in a hurry to upload it and see all the other pieces.  I'm very impressed!)

Hilary







10 comments:

  1. Wow Hilary, I'm really impressed with yours! You have succeeded in depicting the glass vase. Félicitations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second wow! Very impressed. You nailed the glass effect. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary you have certainly got the glass to perfection. Very, very impressive. You can see a lot of thought has gone into this so congratulations on a piece very well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is spectacular! You have nailed this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow from me too....... mrs Caravaggio

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you manage to get this glass effect with fabric ? I looked carefully at possibilities and decided to abandon it to the 'too hard basket' I am intrigued . Well done for this amazing achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed Hilary. I struggled with how to portray a glass bowl in mine and gave up. You will see soon. You've done it brilliantly, and if I may say so, with an elegant simplicity. So impressive! Nice composition too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hillary, you have done it again. This is such a wonderful study and you have pulled it off perfectly. Not only is it a beautiful piece but a great achievement too. I am going to study how you have created it very carefully! xxxClaire

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely piece. I tried to do liquid in a glass in one of our earliest challenges so I know how hard it is to do it properly. Love the composition too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning Hilary! When you have darkened the stalks can you post another picture so that we can see this piece perfected. And you got the glass beautifully!

    ReplyDelete