Pages

Thursday 30 May 2019

MARY PRATT

When I first viewed Mary's work I admired her ability to paint in such a realistic way ,catching the light reflections on any object she chose for her still life pictures . Trying to interpret these reflections with fabric seemed a task too difficult for  me so I scrolled through her work and came across a delightful painting called 'The Happy Garden' . instead of the flowers being the prominent feature I designed a background leaf pattern with flowers tucked in between . Next I used a variegated thread on the leaves when quilting it so that there was some light and shade . In the end I enjoyed making this gentle piece.
                                                        THE HAPPY GARDEN

                                              

                                                            My interpretation

                                              

9 comments:

  1. Hi guess it is tomorrow in New Zealand!Happy to get a jump start on the viewing! What a lovely and loose interpretation. I love the peek a boo flowers and textured leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Helena, the peek a boo is lovely and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take on her Happy Garden. Your precision and quilting is quite amazing. A clever,happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A piece which really reflects a Happy Garden. I love the design in the way you have tucked some of the flowers behind the leaf pattern. As always your quilting is beautiful and you have produced a really delightful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't find her 'Happy Garden' when I did my research. It is so different from all her the realistic paintings. I like your interpretation, and love the texture of the closely quilted leaves

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary, you always come up with something different and special. Your skills floor me. I would never have thought of peek-a-boo flowers - but they are a perfect expression of a happy game which usually has toddlers shrieking with laughter. I certainly has me smiling every time I look at it. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever to create your own Happy Garden, with the flowers hiding behind the leaves. It's quite delightful, Rosemary, and beautifully quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great choice. I have not seen this piece by Mary Pratt either. Your interpretation is just fabulous - I love the way the flowers peep through the seams and the dense quilting really gives lots of texture. Congratulations on a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and happy piece Rosemary. I'm sure you are thrilled at the result. As Claire says the dense quilting gives it amazing texture on the leaves. So simple and yet so effective.

    ReplyDelete