Pages

Friday 31 May 2019

Mary Pratt - a learning experience

Hi all
I must say, I found this one difficult. Whilst I like some of her paintings, I am not excited by jars of jam  or oven-ready salmon, and I struggled to find something to interpret. So, I am really sorry, but I reverted to a simple attempt at copying (not very well) one of her pieces.
I chose another portrait. This time Mary Pratt's daughter with her face covered in cold cream! This hyper-realistic painting did make me look twice, and I must say, Mary Pratt's skill in painting in this style is incredible. That I do admire.

Mary Pratt: Cold Cream, 1983

For my version I used thickened dye to paint a face similar to Mary Pratt's daughter onto white fabric. I then quilted it then used a mixture of white acrylic paint mixed with shaving foam and fabric medium to smear all over. It certainly is a sloppy mess to work with, but dries to an interesting textured 'mush'.
Was it successful? No.  But it was interesting, so I am glad I had the opportunity to try something different. Not everything works, but you never know until you try. 




10 comments:

  1. This was a very brave inspiration of Mary's piece of work and you have carried it off so well - you have certainly captured the essence of the piece but have also put your own stamp on it. It is a realy well executed piece of work and sounds as if it was a realy complicated process, one that I would find very daunting. An amazing piece of work so hats off to you on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were brave to smear on your cold cream mixture after quilting! I think you were successful and I really like your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Claire, you really took on the challenge in a big way and I think it is extremely successful. What a powerful gaze. The cold cream effect is perfect. bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Patricia that you have carried it off very well. Enlarging the Pic and being able to see some of the quilting coming thru it is amazing. Never heard of the acrylic paint/shaving cream/medium mix before but what a fantastic effect it gives. Noted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo the other comments, well done Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How brave you were to smear the' mush' all over a beautifully constructed face after it had been quilted ! You managed to convey the same expression in your portraits eyes as in the original portrait . I liked the way that you gave us viewers a closer look at her face by taking away the stark background of the original. Fascinating take .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't think why you are not happy with this. I think it is spot on and your inspired use of 'cold cream' is perfect. Would love to see and touch this piece in the flesh (haha). It is so very much a Mary Pratt inspired piece. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Claire - brilliantly painted and so creative with your 'cream" and interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your very supportive comments. I am perplexed though, as I really don't like it! I dislike the blackness around her eyes (I didn't get that right, but I wasn't able to fix it) as I feel it makes her look somewhat sinister. I think that is part of the reason I really didn't mind adding the mush all over her face!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Claire! so well interpreted - I would be thrilled with the result you achieved. It must have been quite a process with that 'cream' all over the face. Really amazing version of Mary's work.

    ReplyDelete