Pages

Friday 31 May 2019

Mary Pratt - Fat fish on foil


Mary Pratt’s interpretation of ‘glassware’ paintings are amazing but I couldn’t see how I could express one of those in fabric. Then I found an unusual picture which really appealed to me and I knew that I could create it in fabric. Towards the end of April I was ready to ‘post’ my blog when, to my horror, I realized I had mistakenly chosen the work of an artist, Monika Wright! Mary Pratt had commented on this work and it had ended up amongst Mary’s collection in Google. This is where my mistake was made. 

So, here is that piece ‘off the record’ for you to enjoy.





At the beginning of May I re-started Mary Pratt’s ‘piece’. My title is: Fat fish on Foil. The fish was done using a self-dyed grey cotton fabric with organza overlay and coloured with oil pastels and then embroidered; finishing it off with an appropriate shell eye. After appliqueing the fish onto the background, I attached cut ‘shards’ in greys and whites to resemble foil and then used oil pastels to finish it off.







 After I had begun the Clown Trigger fish I found a small, framed piece of that same fish which I had done at least 10 years ago! I have included this picture.




Allison Moorcroft

10 comments:

  1. Well done Alison, you have got the foil spot on & love your fish. Great interpretation. Thanks for sharing your other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your foil has worked out very well and I can see that a lot of thought has gone into this piece and thank you too for sharing the other works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job! Amazing foil effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alison, this is a trap so easy to fall into, we google and think we have found the right source. Thanks for sharing.
    Amazing foil effect and lovely little fish ( being pieces myself)
    Ps just love your little "old" fish as well, made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of the challenge with this artist was her excellent portrayal of glass and the reflections of this and the foil around the fish .(both of which I avoided!) Like Hilary you have managed so well to achieve this with fabric .Very cleverly done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Allison, my heart goes out to you. You must have been devastated to realise you have been inspired by the wrong artist. BUT, what a superb rendition of foil! You may have had to do two pieces but you came up trumps with the fish piece. I keep looking at the foil - it's so effective. (I like the first piece too.) Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Allison. Your foil is brilliant, and I love the way you put it all together. I also like your first piece - Well done for getting 2 done in this challenge period!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I do completely understand though as it almost happened to me with Wilhemina Barnes Graham.
    I love both your pieces and the trigger fish too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you have done the foil, it's really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way you have done the foil works really well. I like the way that you have used the limpet shell for the fish's eye too.

    ReplyDelete