Pages

Friday 31 May 2019




MARY PRATT

Whilst researching this artist and her work I came across a blog written by someone who had been listening to a CBC interview speaking to our artist and the heading in the blog described her as:  Artist, Mother, Inspiration, Feminist of the timeless kind – creator, partner, parent, lover, adaptor, human being ….  

This encapsulated a time in her life where she was married and raising four children and therefore her focus was primarily on the one word that was not used i.e. Nuture.  I am grateful indeed to a friend Lenel who pointed this out to me and got me on track in this direction.

Her work does use a fair amount of other subjects apart from food and fruit, but I kept coming back to how beautifully she portrayed these everyday items, which must have been her focus at that time in her life, therefore I wanted to concentrate my piece on the word “nuture” in this instance.

I drew the whole piece out and then transferred it onto one piece of hand-dyed fabric and stitched the whole design out in gold thread.  I then used various paint mediums i.e. inktense blocks, fabric paint and oil paint sticks to give it some life which I hope gives some idea of how I interpreted her work in this instance.


9 comments:

  1. I like the way the hands envelope the plate and fruit. You have captured the idea of 'nurture' in your image. It's beautifully painted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Jinnie has said....you have embraced very cleverly the word nurture. Quite a statement and your thoughts behind it all adds to what others have said about her life. The hands are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s wonderful how everyone takes something different from each artist. Your piece is beautiful in its own right and a lovely tribute to Mary Pratt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting approach, love it and the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were definitely thinking outside the box with your thought of nurture . And how right you are because it is in a mothers instinct to nurture. Your use of the gold thread and paintwork is remarkable giving life to her hands and making them stand out against the background . Such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely homage to Mary Pratt. Her life story reflects that of so many women of that period. The nurturing hands are beautifully portrayed and you have brought in the 'everyday' with the orange. Very sensitively thought through. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've honoured her well Patricia. It's a beautiful piece and you've done a great job painting the hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very clever and interesting way to approach your interpretation of Mary Pratts work. I love your thought process and how it led you to create this lovely piece. I am always really impressed by all the different ways we all arrive at our finished pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply beautiful Patricia. You have expressed Mary's caring nature very cleverly and using one colour all over kept it unified. I would never have thought of using gold with it but it worked.

    ReplyDelete