Pages

Thursday 28 February 2019

MY STREET ART

As with my previous challenges I have tried, where  possible, to bring in some of my African experiences to make it my own.  The streets of Afghanistan are very similar to the streets in Stonetown, Zanzibar so I browsed thru my photographs from our time in Tanzania and found this photo of the ruins of an old fort which gave me a perfect platform to have fun with.

Being a very strong Muslim Island the use of Henna designs on hands and feet are very obvious and the visibility of in particular the adornment of the women of the Masaai Tribe with their beaded headdress and necklaces have given me my inspiration for my street art.


My piece is a whole cloth, painted.  Painted lutradur has been stitched & cut out with a soldering iron, the Masaai heads fused and then adorned with my dotty tool, and the rest of the piece free motion quilted or embroidered in the case of the grass.


As I have not used one particular piece for my inspiration I have not posted anything.

12 comments:

  1. Very clever to pick up on your visit to Zanzibar and Shamsia's method of 'painting' graffiti on a photograph instead of damaging a building. It works really well. Nice one. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination of your own experiences and Hassani's art works really well in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Phil! I love the scrolled graffiti and the Masaai heads were a touch of genius to meld Africa with Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil ,I really like your piece of street art and was interested in your desciption of the techniques you used . I particularly like the way the grass is done . Is that purely free motion stitching ? Contrasts well with the simple stitching of the sky and pebble foreground. Super piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass was painted and then free motion stitched with a zigzag stitch.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this Phil.I really must hone my painting on fabric skills . So far I haven't done enough to make me feel confident . Also haven't done much zig-zag FMS but realise how effective it is . Will give it a go . Rosemary

      Delete
  5. Phil, just fabulous! I love your concept and the imagery. The painted building is wonderfully done and is what I feel, in my heart of hearts I should have done rather than have it printed.
    I'm interested to know what others think about this fabric printing thing

    Anyway I love your piece. Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aim was to get it printed, but locally for me none could do it bigger than A4 so i had to get the paint & brushes out.

      Delete
  6. Well done again Phil. Beautiful old fort that you used as your building. ( Zanzibar is definatly on my bucket list!) Adding the African heads to depict the graffiti was a clever idea - never ever think along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Phil and lovely that you have brought Africa into the forefront of your piece. Love your paintwork and the incorporation of the heads into your design. Everything works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done Phil - I like how you have interpreted her work and created your own unique piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautifully painted and the appliqué is a good interpretation of her work. I love the way you include an African element into your quilts.

    ReplyDelete