Pages

Wednesday 27 February 2019

Next Artist!

Continuing in a nationalistic and feminist vein, I am  choosing Mary Pratt, a Canadian,  as the next artist.  She was brilliant at portraying very mundane things - you will see this when you look at her work.  She was, as a female, not given the credit and acknowledgement that she should have received from early on  - what is new.  She doesn't seem to have a lot of variety in her work - I know that this has made things difficult for us in the past.  So what I would like you to be influenced by is taking the ordinary and making it appealing.  But that being said, I don't want to direct you and hope that you will simply enjoy seeing her work. 

Here are a few links for you.


The Otherworldly Luminescence of Mary Pratt's Art - thewalrus.ca‎ - pick this up on google.



https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/mary-pratt-obituary-1.4734932


Dianne

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne

    Thanks for your next choice of artist - I have been taking a long look - and I know what you aresaying about her work, but I just love it! Dead fish and intersting portraits - right up my street! (and I'm am not joking).

    Looking forward to finding out more about Mary Pratt (yet another artist unknown to me - I am loving this challenge for tht reason alone). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianne. The first image I looked at I thought - Dianne's chosen a photographer! The mundane, maybe, but painted so realistically. A good challenge and a chance to create something I have long wanted to achieve - glass reflections. I may well give up but I'm going to have a bash. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stunning work,almost photo-realistic but with the hand of the artists still on view. Pratt's rendering of reflective surfaces is amazing but, unlike Hilary, I think I'm going to stick with Dianne's invitation to 'take the ordinary and making it appealing'.

    Thank you Dianne for introducing me to another, previously unknown, artist.

    ReplyDelete