Pages

Thursday 28 February 2019

Shamsia Hassani - Forward, onward , upward

'Forward, Onward, Upward'

I have enjoyed finding out more about Shamsia Hassani and understanding why she makes the art she does. I have enjoyed looking at her large murals and the small pieces when she uses her 'Dreaming Graffiti' concept. I like the way she is focussing on portraying the positives with the story she is telling.
I understand street art is not everyones idea of art, and the word 'graffiti' can put some people off, but I hope everyone got some pleasure from this artist.

I chose to follow through on her 'Dreaming Graffiti' concept and used a photograph of a hurricane damaged building that I took recently and added some painted images in Hassani's style.

'Forward, Onward, Upward' inspired by the work of Shamsia Hassani. Claire Passmore 2019


The story behind the picture:

The location is not somewhere most people would expect to find a building in this sort of condition,  in fact, I think it is a very well kept secret (I would say over half of all the buildings were in a similar state). A good proportion of the population have left the country as when the tourists stopped coming, their jobs in the hospitality industry disappeared. Hotel owners took the insurance money and left, so rebuilding did not happen. The tourists found other places to go and the Government lost most of its tax revenue.  As a result  and the whole place has a very bizzare sanitised abandoned look about it that is difficult to explain. Despite this,  those who remain still have an optomistic outlook on life and have a positive attitude. 'Forward, Upward, Onward Together is the Bahamian national motto, which I think echoes the message Hassani is also sending to the world too.

'Forward, Onward, Upward' (Detail) inspired by the work of Shamsia Hassani. Claire Passmore 2019



Claire

14 comments:

  1. I love the route you have taken and combined something of yours along with the touch of hers. They have merged beautifully into one lovely piece. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the progression from downward cast profile to upward and hopeful - added to by the addition of stairs leading upwards and butterflies flying onward. So much symbolism.

    I am slightly 'worried' by the stumpy nosed faces - Shamsia's are very angular. You are not the only one to portray the faces this way. Is there a reason?

    Whatever, the piece is powerful and the more you look the more you see. Thanks for nominating her as an artist, Claire. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy the stories behind people's work and this is no exception. I'm astounded by the amount of detail you've managed to include -how did you create your surface?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Claire. The building is so beautifully done. And the stitching is lovely.A very uplifting piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderfully executed piece and sends this hopeful message so well . Clever to use both the staircase and her facial expression to make the double impact of Forward , Onward, Upward. i really like this design .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. I enjoyed making it too.
    Hillary you are quite right to feel a bit iffy about the noses! I struggled with the shape of the face. I was anxious not to blatantly copy her work, yet wanted it to look similar. They either ended up looking like pixie faces with sharp features or this snub nose version.... Just goes to show simplifying things is not easy!

    For the building I tried something new and it is something I have strong reservations about. I used my own photo, edited it and then sent it off to be printed.(I now have 5 other pieces the same, so I could make a series!) The fabric itself is great and the reproduction very good, but for me I'm not sure if it is a step too far in a direction I don't want to go. I justified it to myself as it is part of the dreaming graffiti narrative that I chose from Hassani's work, but I am not comfortable using this method , unless I had a very good reason to. It feels like I didn't try hard enough to create my design (stupid I know because I did create it, so what's my problem?!! 🤔)
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Claire, in that there has to be a good reason to use a printed image. Too many printed images with heavy thread painting out there. But where you have used it as a background and added all those extra layers of meaning, it didn't even make me blink. Add to that, Shamsia's own method of adding her graffiti over images digitally. Lucky you with a series ready to go. Hilary

      PS And hats off to Phil and Allison for painting so impressively.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Hilary - I completely agree but your kind words have reassured me for this piece. Now - what to do with those other 5??????????

      Delete
  7. Well done Claire.
    at first glance I thought it looked too modern, the building that is, but then I saw the faces and immediately saw Hassani's style. I really liked your interpretation of them and also placing them down the side of the piece too. And congratulations on your beautiful piece - you deserve the prize - it really zings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this piece Claire and as others have said you combined your own photograph with Hassani's style which depicts your title very well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done Claire and I like your imagery of the butterflies. The faces are fine- nicely stylized. And obviously I'm a fan of using a photograph as part of my work - we buy printed fabric, so why not print our own! I'm not keen on the paint by number effect of some artists, but your quilting enhances your work. I hope you will find some way of sending a link to this blog to Shamsia so she can see how far her influence extends, and how much we like her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne - thanks for your lovely comments - and you are right - we do buy printed fabric so I'm finding it hard to pinpoint why I feel so uncomfortable with this method. I use a seweng machine for goodness sake, not solely hand stitch - so what is the difference? Perhaps it is just that I need to 'get over it'! I guess part of it is that I feel it is a bit too easy and I need to work at the background (suffer?) .

      I did write to Shamisa on Facebook and via her website, but I have had no reply. Now we have our work online I will try again - I would so like to make contact with her and let her know we support her.

      Delete
  10. I love your interpretation of Hassani's style and I think your use of the photograph is justified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so moving. I had no idea that Bahamas were so badly hit by aftermaths. Somehow they are bunked in my brain as one of those Carribbean paradises Europeans dream of...
    Great interpretation with those women's faces on the side. Thank you so much for challenging us to do this artist.

    ReplyDelete