Pages

Thursday 31 May 2018

Matsue Jo

Wilhelmina certainly had a variety of styles.  It was hard to choose between the really contemporary modern work or the more traditional style.  I wanted to incorporate one of my pictures from my latest trip to Japan and I have enjoyed looking at the work of Rosie James and our own Helena Scheffer and also Gillian Travis.  So when I saw some of Wilhelmina's sketches, some of which were brushed with a hint of colour, I thought I would give it a try. 

Here is a picture that I used for influence: 




And mine.  This is based on a photo of a castle in Matsue, with, as you can see, the cherry trees in bloom.  It is all "drawn" in black thread and then I did a bit of colour wash using water colour crayons. 


7 comments:

  1. Spot on Dianne. Love the subtle colours on your background cloth showing through your thread sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it Dianne! your piece is beautiful on its own yet shows its inspiration from Willie’s sketch. love the touch of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this piece. Very soothing and restful with the touch of colour added to your drawing in thread. Looks as if it took a long time to do! Well done to bring in your trip to Japan and its influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A creative combination of the artist and your own experiences. Was adding the colour wash after all that stitching just a bit nerve wracking???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Japanese art is often minimalistic and I think you captured this very well in this piece while it was definitely inspired by W B-G's work . Veryclever. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely memento of your trip, Dianne. Cherry blossom and a temple. Simple with just enough detail. Has the feel of a Japanese water colour painting. H

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the wash of colour over the sketch. A lovely way to remember your japanese trip too.

    ReplyDelete