Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2022

Forth into the Future

 Almost straight away I knew which bridge I would use having seen an episode of Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year being set on the banks just below the Forth Railway Bridge.  But...I failed spectacularly in my plan to create something abstract or even impressionistic.  I just don't seem to be able to loosen up.  One day maybe?

I also made a bit of hash of this piece in not thinking the process through thoroughly first.  I should have completed all of the far side of the bridge first, and then added the near side.  It meant a lot of splicing in small pieces!  Lesson leant.




It is a mix of commercial and hand dyed fabrics, Inktense painting, raw-edge applique and machine quilting. Edge satin stitched.  It measures 14.5" x 20"

Hilary

PS  I will reveal Allison's choice of theme soon and also start the ball rolling on what Series 5 will be all about.  H


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the detail of the bridge. The reflection in the water, great choice of fabric for the water. Very striking and impressive.
    I watched a programme on the history of the bridge and the restoration of parts of it. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary this is an absolutely stunning aspect of the bridge you chose and your colours and the shadows and the way it has been painted and stitched is as always beautifully executed. It is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely Hilary, and I love the way you managed all the girders. That was what intimidated me when I was trying to figure out how to portray my bridge. The colouring in the water and your choice of fabrics makes it really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lost in admiration as to how you put in so much detail . You have worked the combination of fabric and painting brilliantly. Inktense pencils help so much with shading and the reflections and you have used them to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I bet you feel qualified to design a real bridge after all the work you put into this and the lessons you learnt along the way! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really impressed by your quilt Hilary. I love the way you have just shown a part of the bridge, but the image still looks complete in itself, if that makes sense! It is really intricate. A stunning and very successful piece.

    ReplyDelete