Pages

Thursday 4 August 2022

Domed rood

I've finally finished my Islamic piece. I initally thought about a lot of the decoration you find on these buildings, but realised that wasn't really fulfilling the brief. I've always tried to work from my own photos whenever possible for all our challenges, so I went back through all my photos from India, initially think of doing something using the outline of the Taj Mahal. Instead of which I found the following photo - the inside of a doom looking directly up.
This appealed to me as I can't resist circular symmetry, and I loved the way the structure formed a pattern. I've fussy cut fabric for the decoration, and used quilting for the lines. I hope this gives a sense of one of the pervading characteristics of Islamic artitecture - light, open spaces.
One of the reaons I was so late on this challenge (apart from the three week road trip to Romania) was that our son got married (actually a civil partnership) last weekend. Here are the happy couple, being photographed by his twin sister, He made/adapted his own outfit, I made Becky's silk waistcost!

6 comments:

  1. I really like the inside of your 'doom'. The fussy cut pattern is a good translation of the pattern on the original dome, and your quilting interprets it nicely. Congratulations to the happy couple: I love their beautifully made outfits. outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely interpretation of the dome, Linda. And beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the piece. Well done on all that
    internal stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Linda, missed your post. I love the detail of the quilting - it adds to the piece and that centre bit must have taken ages. Congrats on perseverance - it has paid off. Like the angle of the image looking up into the dome. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the comments. Your quilting really makes this piece - it is beautifully stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do circular symmetry very well! And you have succeeded in representing the light open spaces characteristic of Islamic architecture but to be honest, that wedding photo gained more of my attention! I love their outfits!

    ReplyDelete