Pages

Monday 28 February 2022

Gaudala

This is my rendition of a mandala - by Gaudi.  I think we were all spoilt for choice with ideas inspired by this wonderful, flamboyant architect.  At one stage I considered a wrought iron dragon gate with a mosaic of flowers in a garden behind (a la Dilys Fronks) but those wonderful, weird, crazy chimney pots mostly hidden away from sight on rooftops in Barcelona called to me.


My piece is simple but it was a lot of fun to construct.  Raw-edge applique, mostly commercial fabrics and some Batiks, machine quilting.  It measures just under 20" square.

 

Thanks, Patricia, that brought back a lot of good memories of Quilt Expo in Barcelona.


Hilary

11 comments:

  1. So well thought out Hilary - I too saw the chimney pots and really wanted to use them but got lost in too many ways to do it. I think the idea you came up with was amazing and to bring your design into the round as you have done was so very, very clever. Well done it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combo of the chimney pots and the mosaic work in a mandala. A clever and successful approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaudi and Africa combined, I find mandalas very facilitating and this is no exception. ( And I knew that somebody would use the same source material as me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very colourful execution of a wonderful design which you created based on Gaudi's work. I love your combinations of fabrics and use of shapes which are typically his. A very clever piece. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting. I'd forgotten how wonderful his chimney pots are. Living close to Leicester though, I do keep seeing Foxes in the mandela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The black background really makes the colours sing. I didn't see those chimneypots when I was looking at Gaudi's work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The black background really makes the colours sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I thought I'd hit the wrong button and didn't realise my first comment was published!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very vibrant and very African meets Gaudi! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! well done Hilary. So clever to do a Mandala. Also loved those chimneys and was tempted.......Quite different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to combine Gaudi and African references. Well executed for sure!

    ReplyDelete