Pages

Monday 6 December 2021

 Chetham's Deconstructed


   At first when I found out about this challenge, I considered deconstructing/reconstructing one of my architecture quilts, but in the end I don't think I could have cut into one of them, even one of those that I didn't think had been successful or didn't like. So instead I considered some of the printed fabric that was left over from my Chetham library quilt. I was drawn to the buildings with curved rather than straight lines, and it was whilst I was looking at the quilt that I made for the Paul Klee challenge in the artist series (12 By the Dozen: DOTTY ABOUT KLEE) that I thought using the same curved lines might work. I tried it out first with  paper prints.




I printed some white on black fabrics to go with the white ones that were left. After that it was fairly simple to put together. The design came out a little bit smaller than planned, so I added the black border, which I think makes it look better than it did without. I originally intended to quilt parallel lines following the inside of each shape, but when I tried it, I found it distracted from the shapes, making the design too busy, so I abandoned that idea. It is quilted minimally, round the square just under the black border, as I felt it really did not need anything more.






12 comments:

  1. This is very striking Junnie - keeping the design simple allows your wonderful fabric to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda B. The fabrics are delicious and the lines simple. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrast is very effective and I especially like the shapes you have created with this contrast. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great contrast within interesting shapes Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the simplicity of your piece Jinnie and the contrasts with the black and white make it very apecial. A really great piece you should be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this too. Great to use fabric from a previous offering. I love the curved lines. It makes me think of the Opera House which seems to have been a bit of a theme for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed the opera house when I did the research for this challenge. When Mai-Britt posted her quilt, I thought the curves in my quilt reminded me of it too.

      Delete
  7. It looks simple but it is not simple! Very clean and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Jinnie. Your patterned fabric adds so much interest to the design, which in itself is dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jinnie, I love how you so often come up with a fresh approach to a challenge. Using printed fabric from a previous piece was inspired. Very clever and you pulled it off well. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just seen your piece Jinnie and it's very dramatic just using black and whites. And cutting up old pieces of work too - never think of doing that! Love the curved lines across the piece too.

    ReplyDelete