Pages

Thursday 2 December 2021

The next Challenge is ......

 

As the 2nd December has arrived and I have to choose the next subject I thought it best to do it as soon as possible so that we can all get going on our pieces and if you are in a bit of a lull after the New Year this will get you going.  I had this subject in my mind at the beginning of our series we are currently in and have waited with bated breath every month as to whether someone else would choose what I wanted as my subject.  So the next Architect, Designer, Painter, Mosaic artist I have chosen is:

GAUDI

His architecture is astounding, his colours are so bright and bold, his designs are so out of the box I trust you will enjoy every moment of our next challenge.

In September our local Guild invited Paul Schutte to run a two day master class on Gaudi's Mosaics.  Having visited Barcelona he came home and designed and produced some wonderful pieces and is at present teaching them here in South Africa.  He is a former South African Quilter's Guild President, is a SAQG Master Quilter and has won a Best on Show in Traditional, Innovative and Art categories at the SA National Quilt Festivals along with many other awards. His work has received recognition and won awards and been seen around the world.  He is also a member of Fibreworks Art and SAQA .  He is a well respected teacher, lecturer, quilt judge and the SAQG Judging Supervisor.  I absolutely loved this class and share my piece that I produced from this class which is below.









14 comments:

  1. So pleased you have finally shared your piece and now it all makes sense why you did not do it earlier. Now everyone can de-stress from the previous challenge and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patricia. I was exceptionally lucky to be at the European Quilt Show in Barcelona in the Gaudi anniversary year when so many private and other buildings that are not normally open to the public, were accessible. Loved it! I have been an admirer of his work for a long time. He was very fortunate in that he had rich patrons who allowed him to create in beautiful detail. I looked long and hard at his mosaics in the Park Guell when we had 'walls' as the theme.
    Your piece is gorgeous - thanks for sharing. It's a real tribute to Gaudi. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's not to like about this challenge? It's worth enlarging Patricia's piece to learn about the kind of fabrics that will work - my brain is ticking over already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patricia, I'm not very familiar with Gaudi's work, except that I recognise it when I see it (I think). So looking forward to doing the research. Will also try to start my piece earlier than I normally do - there, now you all have it in writing ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are going to have fun with this Patricia. Nice choice. And I love the piece that you did. Thanks for showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this one. I too was at the European in Barcelona many years ago and fell in love with Gaudi's architecture. wondering arounf the Guell park in awe. I was lucky enough to go back a few years ago on our way to a car club meeting in Italy, and to take Mick to see some of the places I had remembered so clearly. I'm going to enjoy this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Barcelona or seen any of Gaudi's work, apart from in pictures, but I'm aware enough of his work to be looking forward to this challenge. I think we are all going to have too much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a short piece on the Sagrada Familia in the Guardian today, giving another view of Gaudi's church: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/04/this-was-a-bridge-too-far-even-for-boris-johnson?
    Ignore the title about Boris's bridge. The criticism of Gaudi is in the second section

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found another interesting article about the problems that the church causes to local residents: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/29/huge-star-atop-sagrada-familia-rekindles-residents-complaints

      Delete
  10. I am looking forward to starting my this project after Christmas. I feel excited by my idea, no idea how I will execute it but there in lies the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just come across a quilt by Lisa Walton that was inspired by Gaudi's architecture: https://clothincommon.com/gaudis-columns/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love love love that piece. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  12. Gosh, too beautiful Patricia and thanks for sharing it with us! Well done!

    ReplyDelete