Pages

Thursday 2 December 2021

Deconstructing Utzon

I have based my entry on Sydney Opera House, designed the Danish architect Jørn Utzon.

Deconstructing Utzon (16" by 16")

Uh, I struggled here, not because of the subject, which I found fascinating - but because of the limited timescale I had set for myself, silly me. For most of the challenges, I have liked what I have done. Not this one, it looks more like cheap bling, than the elegant piece I had in mind. Now if I had not been in last minute, I could have started all over, and done something I could be proud of. Well you win some, you loose some.


Wholecloth quilt (silk/cotton fabric - never again!), fused silks, limited quilting and self coloured binding.

Detail

Deconstructivist architecture is characterised by surface manipulation, fragmentation, and non-rectilinear shapes which distort and dislocate architectural conventions concerning structure and envelope

In 1957, Utzon unexpectedly won the competition to design the Sydney Opera House. His submission was one of 233 designs from 32 countries, many of them from the most famous architects of the time. Although he had won six other architectural competitions previously, the Opera House was his first non-domestic project. One of the judges, Eero Saarinen, described it as "genius" and declared he could not endorse any other choice.

The designs Utzon submitted were little more than preliminary drawings. Dr. Emory Kemp's consulting career began at Ove Arup, where, he conducted analytical calculations for the roof, noting this was no simple task, as Utzon’s sketches were designed to embellish the beauty of the international landmark, not necessarily for simple mathematics. (from Wikipedia).


Contrary to popular belief the design is not based on sails, but on a ball shape, starting with a peeled orange.

Starting with an orange


Utzon's Drawing




Under construction 

Bring on the next challenge!


14 comments:

  1. I like the way you've deconstructed the building Mai-Britt, and left the pieces floating in the harbour! And although I lived in Sydney for 3 years I didn't really know about the thinking behind the design. I used to go early to pick up my girls from school because I could sit with my quilting and overlook the harbour and the Opera house. It was such a special sight for this Canadian and always reminded me that I was on the other side of the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And again, I have learnt something new! I thought, like so many, that it was based on sails but the ball/peeled orange makes sense.
    I sympathise with you feeling annoyed and disappointed that the wonderful image of your idea didn't come up to scratch in your eyes. Been there, got the T-shirt. I could almost imagine that the pieces were a broken up reflection in the harbour of the Opera House with the sunlight in the sparkle of that gorgeous green fabric... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also learnt so much from your very interesting explanation of how this iconic building came to be. Fascinating that it started with the shape of a peeled orange - one is never too old to learn! I like your idea that you had for your piece and it is peaceful and harmonious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm another one who didn't realise the design was based on a peeled orange. Mick and I were lucky enough to stay one night with a friend in Sydney and could see the Opera House out of the window. I too can sympathise with your frustration that the design didn't turn out as you wished, but I was told many years ago that we learn more from our failures than from our successes. And I love the colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me to the list that had no idea that an orange was the starting point. I like Hilary's description of reflections in the shimmering water. I think we all have a piece that is not our favourite. Nature of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love a challenge, and failure is the route to success, you learn so much along the way.

      Delete
  6. You may not be happy with the finished piece, but you're not alone in that experience, and how good is it that this group feels like a safe place to share what we think of as the occasional wart?


    ReplyDelete
  7. I will never look at a mandarin in the same way again! Nor, for that matter, the Opera House! A great deconstruction and so perfect to have it floating in the beautiful harbour that it sits upon! Or are the pieces being blown aloft into the clear blue sky?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the simple design of your quilt and the colours. Even when we are not totally happy with our work, it still helps our progress. I never knew it was based on an exploding orange either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also new to me that the Opera house was based on a peeled orange . It has become a much revered building in Sydney and rightly so . Your piece aptly reflects the shapes of the building and I really like the colours which you chose. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although only 2 colors are used, the fabric is not completely plain and without prints. The hidden prints add depth to the work! Thank you for the interesting knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As all have said - we'll never look at an orange in the same way again! thanks for the interesting story. It certainly was a 'mind-boggling' challenge from Phil!

    ReplyDelete