Pages

Friday 7 January 2022

Deconstruct(ivism)

Sorry it's taken so long, folks.  Somewhere along the line I lost my mojo - buried under all the other 'stuff' in my life.

Right from the start I had this in mind, but wasn't sure it fitted the theme.  I looked at loads of other marvellous, crazy buildings around the world - and there are plenty!  Just watched a programme on TV from the Smithsonian channel showing several Frank Gehry buildings.  I looked long and hard at the new V&A in Dundee.  But I kept coming back to this idea.  I suppose it was because the theme was announced right at the 20th Anniversary moment and there were images everywhere.  So here it is.


It is 16" x 20".  Whole cloth with paint and applique.  Machine quilted.

This challenge opened my eyes to a lot more architecture that is being built.  I'm not sure I like the direction it is going.  I wonder how they would like to work in some of these buildings...

I am wondering if I should now make a companion piece and feature the Ground Zero building - which I do like.  First, Gaudi!

Hilary

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous. A strong, moody and yet forceful and defiant statement. Worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an evocative piece, there is so much to look at and so much more hinted at. Phil's adjectives are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. It's such a powerful image and certainly shows a building deconstructed! I still find the memories extremely strong of that day 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the other 'stuff' is ok: sometimes life gets in the way. Yes, it was definitely worth the wait. As Linda says, it's a very powerful image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning piece Hilary. Your dyed fabric works beautifully and all the applique including the bits of red are really evocative. However. The theme was deconstructivism. And the vism adds a whole different meaning of adding onto or creating anew. I'm just suggesting that this was a long stretch of interpretation. But I still love the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, Dianne. As I said, I wasn't sure about it. It is a long stretch of the theme. But it was such a strong pull, I just kept coming back to it. Nothing else, however exciting and weird and way-out, espoke to me as much as this did. Promise to try and behave myself in future (haha). H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed your colour choices for this quilt which I thought were unusual but highly effective for it. A strong piece of work and a reminder of times past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Hilary - this is so good! My favourite in this section. Well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilary this has really been worth the wait. I can only echo what others have said. For me personally it's my favourite of this round.
    ( Sorry if this is showing twice - I had technical difficulties and tried to reply before).

    ReplyDelete