Pages

Monday 31 August 2020

NY Memories

 I wasn't looking forward to this challenge as I felt it was way out of my comfort zone.  I've never been sure about modern architecture, though funnily enough our new house extension could almost have been designed by Miles van de Rohe.  I also realised that with every other challenge we have done I have always managed to find a personal connection, or a photo I have personally taken, that I could use for inspiration.

My first look at the work of Miles van de Rohe mentioned a few of his famous designs, and I instantly knew I had found my topic.  Back in 1983 Rolls Royce sent my husband to work in the marketing department in New York, and at that time the office in Manhattan was situated in the Seagram Building, designed by Miles van de Rohe!!


This was the photo I found on the web.  I wanted to keep away from the front entrance area, and the straight lines appealed to me.

I initially decided to do the piece by hand using English paper piecing techniques, so drew the image I wanted using Illustrator, then printed it our at the correct size and cut it up.  I quickly realised I could save some time by doing most of the basting my machine, then after joining some of the vertical sections by hand I reverted to machine sewing to put the rest together.  I was disappointed when I finally assembled the whole piece to discover some of the lines did not line up, but I had no time left to remake the piece.  One the whole I am pleased with the result.



15 comments:

  1. I love the way you've dealt with the reflections on the windows. I can see this piece working as a section of something largely - by tiling and reflecting the original image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you have been able to continue linking your pieces to your life experiences! I also love the way you have caught the reflections. It really works and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grief, Linda, what made you consider paper piecing?! You've done a great job considering and it's amazing what the eye will fill in or correct. It reads like the building in the photo. Love your treatment of the window reflections. When I first saw your photo I thought - here we go with the same colours of 'that' marble panel - but no, you have given it your personal twist and it's worked well. Hilary
    (Maybe think about foundation paper piecing next time - rather than English paper piecing - and all done with your machine. Unless, of course, you are desperate or forced to hand stitch!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd finished my current hand sewing project last year, and have yet to decide on the colour scheme for the new one. After knitting seven jumpers in the evenings I was desperate for some hand sewing, hence the English paper piecing. Foundation piecing would have been a much better option!

      Delete
    2. Wow, you're all set up for winter then with 7 knitted jumpers! Ah, then machined paper piecing wouldn't have given you the hand stitching satisfaction... H

      Delete
  4. What a great interpretation. I think we stress too much on technique because it is a big part of what we do, but it's the end result that counts. And yours is great. The careful colour choices you have made make this work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabric choices perfect for the effect you required. The contrast between the lit up half and the reflections are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having also chosen the Seagram building as an image to interpret I was intrigued to see how different our pieces are . Your window reflections were very well done . I took fright at those and took the easy option of making my own design and simply adding the Seagram Building struts on top .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you have successfully posted your piece yet Rosemary. I've seen a draft on the site, but no photograph. It might be my system, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you have done.

      Delete
    2. Linda, Rosemary is having enormous difficulty uploading her image. She has a Mac so I am limited in being able to help. I am resending her an invite to join the group in the hopes it clears the system, but if any of you Mac users can offer any help, she is very frustrated. H

      Delete
    3. I have a Mac and have had no problems at all. I did have to edit the photo after uploading to change the size, but otherwise the process seemed the same as before.

      Delete
  7. Really do like your interpretation especially the the way you have used different fabrics to enhance the windows. Well done on a good piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved seeing reflections in buildings and have long wanted to try something with them. You've accomplished this beautifully. Love the colours that you've used and the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colours you have the chosen, and the way in which you have done the reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done Linda. You have got the reflections looking very interesting, using those colours - perfect!

    ReplyDelete