Pages

Monday 31 August 2020

Mies van der Rohe

 As an architectural draughtswoman from the dinosaur age when everything was drawn by hand in ink,  this was a gift.  I, too, was drawn to that beautiful marble panel and found the perfect material - then lost it.  As usual I thought too long about the project and then ran out of time.  I would love to have imposed a stitched plan of a building over the top and then found that the idea of printing one on a complete sheer wasn't going to work because the ink wouldn't show up against the grey floor - the same difficulty with the choice of thread colour to stitch out the iconic chair.  So there are a lot of compromises in this piece.

Mies van der Rohe

German Pavilion, Barcelona

Barcelona Chair

Bonded applique, Farnsworth house plan printed on silk sheer, Barcelona chair digitized and stitched out.

Thanks, Linda B.  I enjoyed this even with the extra challenges (of my own making)!

Hilary


10 comments:

  1. I like the plan laid on top of the building, with just enough transparency to create a connection between the two, but my favourite bit is looking through the window on the left and seeing the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping someone would pick up on this interior - overlaying the plan AND the chair, and having the latter there but not there are brilliant additions.
    I need a lesson from you on how you created the lines that break up the background, I'm assuming they are stitched but everything is so flat 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have created. Stylish with really interesting elements and I feel drawn to walking into and through that space to the garden out the back. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really clever combination of elements and with your personal addition too. I love the layers and I think it works. I agree the chair is perhaps a little lost, but that also has its charm. Maybe a lighter value for the floor would have given a bit more visibility when combined with a darker thread.
    I love what you have done. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the way you have combined all the different pieces to make a whole. the marble is so beautifully done and with the plan placed on top of the design and the chair as well it makes one want to look deeper to see what else there is to feast ones eyes on. Well done on a really interesting overall piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you have connected the design journey. I agree that maybe the chair does get a bit lost but the more I look at the piece I think its correct. Anything stronger might alter the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping that Mies's chair design would make its way onto someones piece and so enjoyed looking for it in your design . It was so cleverly done and just shows how lucky we are as quilters to be able to simply use thread to enhance our work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the elements in this Hilary and the way you've tied them all together. The chair works just as it is, and since it's not his prime work, deserves to be a little less prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you have brought the various elements together. It remins me of the collages he did that Linda used as the inspiration for her piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done Hilary. Combining the 3 elements so perfectly and simply. Really stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete