Pages

Monday 31 August 2020

 

Barcelona Pavilion

I too took the Barcelona Pavilion as my inspiration but didn't want to focus on perspectives and blocks of marble as I much prefer curves and soft lines!  I battle with perspective so went another route.



I was inspired by the reflections in the water feature and wanted to focus on this rather than the whole scene so I cut out the top of the image and kept the reflections to make it more interesting.





This is what I ended up with using a double piece of organza with lots of paint work underneath and on top of the organza.  I used gel crayons on top of the organza to create the reflections as well a a very small amount of stitching.  I took the liberty of using bright colours for the blocks under the roof of the building to make it look very different to the original.  Whether it works I'm not sure but I had fun.







10 comments:

  1. Funny how so many have used the Barcelona pavilion as inspiration. This is a very different take and one that appeals to me as I too am fascinated by reflections. A very peaceful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on the Pavilion, Pat. And to concentrate almost on what is not in the picture (one of the great painters was a master of this - will remember who it is later - or someone will prompt me) is visually powerful. Your reflections are beautifully painted and not easy, so hats off to you. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've picked up on the one area that I would definitely avoid! I love how you've focussed on, and interpreted, the reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and execution. I just turned my laptop on its head to see how the reflection looks above water - perfectly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super ! The Pavillion is undoubtedly one of his most famous buildings but focusing on the reflections is a masterstroke. MvdR would undoubtedly have paid as much attention to those as the rest of the structure yet I expect most people would just glance at it and move on. The way you have created it is superb! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those reflections are spot on. Brave and very clever . I like the use of brighter colours it gives the piece more life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like all of the comments I too admire tremendously how you have painted the reflections . It makes the work fascinating and intriguing . I love your use too of the bright blue -you definitely have an amazing sense of how to use colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your composition and the reflections are terrific Patricia. You've done a great job with the colouring and I like how the bottom with the tree takes us back to the top and adds an organic element. I also wonder if that is why he used the marble - because it has a sense of reflection in it's lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Patricia. I like all the colours you have used, mainly in the water reflections. It gives a much softer effect than mine, but I just saw a stark and clinical building. So different!

    ReplyDelete