Pages

Monday 2 March 2020

Hong Kong view

One of our daughters lives in Hong Kong in the Sai Ying Pun district, which is basically downtown.  She has a 500 sq ft apartment and the building has one apartment per floor so you can imagine how slim it is - but lots of windows!  And of course, she looks out on other highrises (hers is 22 floors and she's on the 5th). 

I was going to do a more pictoral piece of what it looked like to look out a window - showing the edge of the couch, curtains etc.  But then I keep trying to be more abstract so this is what I've accomplished.  I've shown a photo that she took for me out of one of the windows at night. 

The piece has been painted with acrylic paints.  I realized that I didn't have black or white fabric paint (such a surprise since I have just about every other colour) so that's why the acrylic.  I'm not sure I can quilt through it, and right now don't have time so this is my WIP.   The ceiling still needs fixing and so my work area is still a mess. 






I still like the idea of this but will have to do a lot more experimenting to improve it. 


8 comments:

  1. An interesting idea, and a good one to go abstract on. I really like the colours you've chosen - the contrast between windows lit by lights and those by TV's I feel. Looking forward to seeing the finished version. Hope your sewing room gets fixed soon - I'm back onto making teapot cozies now, so me window is going to remain a WIP for a some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! A really good twist on the theme. I'm sure the acrylic will quilt if you use a thin needle - maybe a 70. Another way to use acrylic on paint without any problem is to mix it with some fabric medium , thus creating fabric paint. Then it will quilt without any problem at all.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think you have come up with a great take on the theme. I agree with Claire, a thin needle, maybe a microtex. I often use these with my silk or metallic threads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. Members have come up with so many good ideas. Dianne, I wish I could be as abstract with a subject as you have here. I don't think you will have any problem quilting it. It is such an interesting piece. Love the differing scales of the windows. Fingers crossed you get your studio back soon. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your interpretation of the theme and the colour scheme.How are you intending to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created an excellent Hong Kong night scene. Using a Jeans needle which is sharp and strong will allow you to quilt through layers .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your piece and the colours are great and makes for a really interesting take on the photograph and a wonderful abstract piece. I look forward to seeing it quilted it will look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very abstract Dianne. The quilting will certainly be a challenge, not only the needles but the design too - you will just have to experiment on a left - over piece of fabric. I used a spray paint on my last piece and it was difficult sewing through it - especially hand work!

    ReplyDelete