Pages

Monday 16 March 2020

Artists inspired by architecture

Hi all

This landed in my inbox today from Textile Artist.org.

There is a link at the bottom.

Love
Claire
x


Textile artists inspired by architecture

 
We’ve posted several articles about landscape textile artists, and now it’s time to showcase those who focus on architecture. While architecture indeed rests within landscapes, these four artists pay particular attention to stitching buildings’ structural details in the most amazing ways. 

Debbie Smyth’s thread drawings capture historic and current architecture in simple, yet intricate, ways. Harriet Popham uses thread in a similar fashion, but she combines architecture with animals and nature to create whimsical interior art pieces. 

Karen Goetzinger uses a mixed-media approach with her urban scenes featuring thread designs on painted surfaces. And Ruth Chalk literally knits her architecture into being, using reclaimed and recycled materials in the most novel ways.

Step into these architectural worlds of stitch and enjoy the view

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting and thanks for the link Claire . Each piece so entirely different from the others . R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried posting this too, but realise now that I was using the wrong email address. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing what other artists are doing and how they interpret their ideas. Thanks for posting the link. I had forgotten I had seen some of their work before. Always nice to revisit.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Claire, thank you. Also look at Haf Weighton - an Australian fibre artist. PS Found the pencils in Durban - very expensive + the shops are closed now. Stay safe all.
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for heads up on Haf Weighton. But I found a Welsh textile artist of that name. Is she the same one? Very 'free' expression. Wish I could loosen up a bit! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allison - I think South Wales rather than New South Wales - but I can see why you thought that. I love her impressionistic style - and many of the scenes remind me of Simonstown in the Cape.

    Glad you found the pencils - and they are expensive - so I'm not surprised they are even more expensive by the time they arrive in Durban. They are worth it though. Perhaps ask a visitor to bring you some when all this is over. Keep well, love Claire
    x

    ReplyDelete