Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2016

Interpreting different artists work is such a fascinating process especially when one is not overly enthusiastic about the artist concerned. (i.e. me with Sheeler's photography and paintings). Initially I found Sheelers work uninteresting and thought that I would find it very difficult to do something with. However I ended up doing 2 pieces and wondered which one I should post. I have decided to post both only because they are very similar but different and for the first time I think that doing a 'series 'would be intriguing.
The piece I chose to interpret is called 'Ballardvale' and was painted in 1946.The lines were interesting and I loved the colours.
The first interpretation I did was pieced . Usually I appliqué but one does need a challenge and the piecing worked well with Sheelers
'Precisionist' style . I kept thinking that some texture would liven the  piece but when the time for quilting came straight lines seemed to be the right option.

With the second piece I thought 'What if'' I turn the chimney stack into a tree and convert the scene from an industrial site into suburbia ?
As you can see I had fun and in the end I think that I like 'Suburbia' better . As you can all see I had great fun but promise that I won't inflict extras on you every time !

11 comments:

  1. I like them both but agree that the second is more entertaining. The tree looks quite devilish! The straight line quilting is definitely very effective and the colours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted them both! I like the humour in the second one, but I also like the graphic design in the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like where this took you. You were truly inspired by an artist and stepped out on a limb for suburbia, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The creative development from your initial piece to your second is fascinating! Love how you expanded your lines, "roof tops" and the main focus from a spire to a tree! Very imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really kept me in suspense cause Patricia let on you had done two. Love them both but if I had to choose I also would go for the tree. I think it tells more of a story. I am fascinated with how you have played around with 'straight line' quilting to such effect. I wish more quilters would on my side of the world could see what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the second one too. The jagged lines of the tree make it look more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of them, but have to agree that the tree is the best of the two. Well done on piecing the first one - very brave, but a magnificent job - I would have taken the line of least resistance and appliqued it! The tree is my favourite and I love your quilting lines. Altogether a wonderful interpretation of his work which should make you very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly 'inspired by the artist' Rosemary!
    I love how you reduced the buildings to the minimum in the first piece then turned your triangles into leaves/shrubbery in the second.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have added that I'm really pleased that you posted both, though the tree is my favourite of the two - it's yours not Scheelers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them both, but prefer the second as it is your own unique design 'inspired by' Sheeler. The quilting is both pieces is first class. There is definitely something a little sinister about the tree and the houses... All those lines and angles make for an electric mood.
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS Please carrying on making as many as you like! H

    ReplyDelete