Pages

Monday 29 February 2016

Tracks

I have signed up for a masterclass with Elizabeth Barton and the February assignment was to explore movement.  I discovered that this is not easy to do if you exclude people and things actually moving.  I started with skiers going down a hill in my drawings and decided to eliminate the people and with a suggestion from EB as I wanted to be more abstract, the yellow sky was tried out - and seemed to go beautifully with my indigo dyed fabric.  This piece became a sample for my quilting.  I can't say I'm totally pleased with it, but the big piece looks better for having experimented so I have posted that too. 

8 1/2 x 11





about 18x24

9 comments:

  1. You've definitely created a sense of movement here, Dianne. I think your choice of yellow for the sky is really inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I do prefer the quilting in the larger piece, but both give that feel of movement that you were looking for. Having just been skiing I can really appreciate how well the indigo fabrics work as snow, and the yellow sky is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow sky is perfect. I love the quilting lines in the bigger piece because they add to the sense of movement. The quilting in the smaller piece stops the flow of those skiers IMHO. Perfect fabric for interpreting the ski tracks! I think you nailed it.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the larger one - your movement is wonderful and everything just works - the yellow sky was a perfect contrast to the cool snow and tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I say what Hilary has said please? The second piece just affirms everything we know about learning as we progress - the movement in this is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a skier I can feel those moguls. Certainly a different type of movement. Your first piece should be named 'Black Diamond', second piece 'Green Run'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your movement in the second piece is very fluid and I love how the stitching and colour choice make it all sing together.Great piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the second piece too. You have caught the movement perfectly, the curves are smoother and more convincing and the complements it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I echo what the others have said. The second piece has great flow and movement and conveys perfectly what you set out to do.

    ReplyDelete