Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Threads

Light Snow Dusting the Fields

This colour study was made by blending silk organza, linen and sheer cottons on an embellishing machine. Some of the fabric was found on a recent visit to King Street Fabrics during our amazing trip to World Festival of Threads in Toronto and Oakville. Metallic stitching and beads were added before mounting onto gallery canvas. I have been thinking about a more reduced palette as our season of colour also fades from greens toward browns and silvers.This sample may be useful in relation to some large vessels  that I have been attempting to construct.The first successful prototype is freestanding, built from1/4 inch industrial  steampressed felt, then faced with embellished silk top, and beaded. They can be seen on the memory vessel page of my website.The threads of past endeavours have filtered through from my days of 3D work in ceramics and have now crept back into my work recently. I would like to see if it may be possible to evolve the concepts into more of a releif form which would simplify life in so many ways.

9 comments:

  1. What an interesting colour palette. I'm reminded of trips to Toronto with the brief vistas of field seen between the trees, and the promise of snow in the air. Good use of the embellisher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of technique and 'threads'. Love the softness of the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really lovely piece - the colours and the way you have combined the various mediums and methods. The colours you have used really speak to me - congrats - it is a super piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, when I looked at the enlarged picture I could appreciate all the textures created by the different materials and the frayed edges - wonderful. Lovely soft colours and subtle embellishments.

    If you are revisiting 3D vessels from your ceramic days. then I also see tree bark. Your picture of snowy trees would be a great subject. Enjoy the felting machine - it has great potential.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have also continued the "thread" from your earlier work: I recognize your rhythmic juxtaposition of shapes. Beautiful texture and colour. I can see it with a horizontal presentation as well, though the vertical is more unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully understated work - there is so much potential here for both 2D and the 3D work you've described.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How timely Michele as the fields are just now dusted with snow. I am fortunate to have seen your large vessels and can see how you have carried the thread forward...Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a woody, artistic response to this theme. i love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the earthy colours and the soft lines you have created. Your vessels in this line will look like a forest at this bare time of year.

    ReplyDelete