Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Threads: Jerry at the Cottage

I took this image from a drawing I made almost 40 years ago of my father-in-law, Jerry. I used my Cityscapes technique of fusing and heat-away stabilizer to translate the drawing into cloth.


The drawings I made in this series, for a class taken as part of my degree, are not so different from the drawings I have made for Cityscapes, so in a sense I am "picking up the thread". I am also thinking of the "ties that bind", those family relationships that persist even after death. Jerry passed away in 1980, and yet we can still recognize him and remember him as he was, relaxing in his favourite spot at the cottage, no doubt watching football on TV. Looking a lot like his son Ron, my husband. Another thread.

9 comments:

  1. Heather, you seem to be able to capture the essence of the time and place with the minimum of line and colour. Your control is very good. Quite charming.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this series of your work; bold block colours and minimum lines, yet conveying the essence of the subject perfectly. I recognized Ron even before I knew it was your post. I hope you continue working in this way; it's lovely and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others your simplicity of line but boldness of colour is perfect every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you have used different pieces and brought them together to form something new as well as using the theme of threads that have tied them together. Very thoughtful and insightful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I could make a piece like this - I so admire your ability to pare things down to the essentials!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, your drawing skills fill me with envy every time! What I love about these challenges is that now, after all this time, it is usually very clear who posts what (in most cases except Venetta, when it is always different)without looking at the names. What a great piece Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your art skills coupled with all that you are working on with fabric sure shows well in this piece. really deightful heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that you thought to find this drawing again to tie it back in to the family memoirs.Great expression in your line and in how it captures your subject.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this style that you are using- minimalist but speaks volumes. And what a nice souvenir.

    ReplyDelete