Pages

Saturday 30 September 2023

Fountain of Youth

 I am an Art Nouveau person, so my first reaction was 'Oh no, not another Art Deco piece'.  But I have to say, this was way more fun than I expected, and I'm really pleased with the end result.  I guess being able to include curves helped.

Fountain of Youth


I have struggled to get a decent photo.  White (and black) are notoriously difficult to capture perfectly.  It is a brighter piece.  The fabrics are all commercial cottons, including the gold strips.  This fabric was a challenge to work with because a hot iron turned the shine into matte.  So, all the ironing had to be covered with a Teflon sheet - tricky when you are trying to bend the strips around curves.  All fabrics fused.  Gold strips raw edge and edge stitched.  This was a second challenge - using metallic thread.  It measures 16" x 23".  Machine quilted.

Thanks, Patricia.

Hilary









4 comments:

  1. This design was one of the first ones I settled on but soon shied away when I realized I had to cope with all those curves. Well done, you have nailed it. Even the lines within the curves arr spot on. Striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the colours (it looks a very dark blue on my screen) and I agree with Phil about the curves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautifully executed piece Hilary .You must be delighted with it . Very striking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Hilary well done. I love this piece - the colours, the way you have abstracted a typical art deco design and your curves are absolutely perfect. A fabulous piece which you can be extremely proud of. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete