Pages

Friday 31 March 2023

THE LAST BEEKEEPER

 

I had just finished this book when the challenge was put up and I immediately knew what I was going to do.  Although the challenge was to use the cover as your inspiration I still wanted my piece to represent a book hence there are three layers to my work. The 'back page' is 3 layers and fully quilted. Whole cloth, applique, paint, crystals and stitching. I have corded the edge. The next layer is a cut out held together by a grey netting. The cut out is avalon, painted, appliqued and stitched. The final layer is painted lutradur and using a soldering iron and scissors I cut out the design. I would have preferred something more delicate but this was the most I could do to keep some of the structure. The left side is bound and the three layers are held together with a button. 








The top pic is the complete 'book'. The next pic is with the top 2 layers opened and you can see the back of the avalon cut out supported with the netting. The final pic has just the top layer of lutradur turned back.  The middle layer edge is also corded.  I have used the 'peebles' again which I used in my previous challenge and so have included a pic of them. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge, so much so, I think this was a record for me finishing it with a full month still to go. 



4 comments:

  1. A beautiful piece of work Phil. What a lot of thought and expertise you have produced which must have taken you a lot of time to both think out as well as execute. I really think it is an amazing piece to be proud of..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a book form for your quilt was a really good idea. It is beautifully done, the layering giving it a three dimesional quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!! Trust you to come up with such a lovely idea. What a lot of work, but well worth it. There is a product on the market called Terial Magic (terialmagic.com) which is like a starch. I have a bottle but have never used it. It is supposed to stabilize and stop fabric fraying while you work with it. It can be washed out. Maybe some else has used it? Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book in itself Phil! Wonderfully conceived and created . It must have taken ages to do and each 'page' so well thought out and quilted . I am lost in admiration .

    ReplyDelete