Pages

Friday 31 March 2023

The hidden life of trees




  At first I was daunted by this challenge, until I remembered reading the book "The hidden life of trees" by Peter Wohlleben several years ago. I was fascinated to learn about the symbiosis between trees and mycorrhizal fungi, the trees receiving essentials nutrients from the soil and the fungi receiving sugars and fats from the trees that trees derive from photosynthesis. Most of my sketchbook work, printing and sampling I have done in the past couple of years has been to do with the trees I have observed in our neighbourhood. I thought this would be the chance to actually make something other than a sketch or sample! I printed the grey fabric with a piece of loosely and crazily interwoven natural fibre of some sort (no idea what it was as a friend gave me a scrap of it) that was perfect for the mycellium. I used silk organza for the tree roots, and a fabric that I printed and cut up for the forest floor. I used bondaweb, which didn't bond very well despite it not being that old, and I had trouble getting the forest floor to stay in place. When I had finally attached the tree trunks, I realised that I didn't like the arrangement of the branches of the tree on the right. As the bondaweb wasn't sticking very well, I thought that I could remove one of the branches, but of course that piece stuck perfectly!

6 comments:

  1. Not heard of the book and love how much we learn each challenge. Love your interpretation and you have created the perfect fabrics for your piece. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jinnie, I learnt about that book listening to Wild Earth. The naturalist guides there had come across it and were very excited. Since then I have come across more and more about how trees and plants are a community and are connected and communicate with each other. I love what you have done. Thanks for spreading the word. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary Rush . I really like the muted colours in this quilt which gives it a mystical and subdued feeling . An interesting interpretation of the book title

    ReplyDelete
  4. The subdued colours give a mystical appearance to this interpretation . So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. roserush.quilter@gmail.com31 March 2023 at 23:31

    The subdued colouring of this quilt gives a mystical appearance to the trees and enhances the book title interpretation. You must be well pleased with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed your story about The Hidden Life of Trees, Jinnie.. I too look into the work as the mystifying depth of colour and light speak... well cone.

    ReplyDelete