Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2022

Sheikh Zeyad Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi

 I loved this mosque very much. Detail, colour, symmetry - it had it all. I came into the possession of a slow stitching embroidery book as this challenge was set. I decided to try and draw my own pattern of one of the beautiful doors. I worked from my own photo and one I found on a tourism site. I loved doing this. Looking back on my architectural pieces, I realise I have chosen doors and windows a few times. Perhaps because through this time I have known my mother would be going through a door soon and she and I spent a lot of time together looking through the window of life wondering where that door might lead her. Well, my mum will have found the answer to that big question today as she passed away in hospice. I was with her. It was very special. She really loved seeing the results of my participation in this group. My best fan, was my mum. 















9 comments:

  1. Your interpretation of the window is beautiful. I like the simplicity, and the wide border sets it off well. . Being with your Mum must have been very special for both both of you. My condolences

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda my deepest and heartfelt sympathies go out to you at this sad time. I am so glad you were with her and you were able to spend so much time with her during her illness. You will hold all your precious memories of her with you always. Your piece of work is beautiful and you have captured the essence of this piece of architecture so well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difficult time for you, but it sounds as though the conversations with your mother will have sustained you both, as well as making memories for you. Your embroidery really captures the impact of this window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condolences at this very difficult time. Love the hand stitching. This piece will hold a very special part in your heart. Those final moments spent with your mum stitched together. The impact of the wide dark border is perfect for your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this, and the way you were able to talk to your mother about your work. Condolences on your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful delicate piece of work . Glen would have loved it. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for kind thoughts. We have a wonderful send off planned for mum. Wondering if I missed what the next challenge is to be. Looking forward to it whatever it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, your heart and soul have been sewn into this piece. It is a very peaceful, personal piece. So special for you to be able to sit with your mum. I see the light shining through the window or are you looking out to the light?
    Heartfelt condolences. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. My condolences Amanda, to you and your family. And I like the use of the symbolism of the door and that you were able to share your work with your mum. This is a lovely piece with the design you've chosen and the embroidery. Take care. Dianne

    ReplyDelete