Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2022

Islamic Prayer Niche

While searching through everything I could find on Islamic Architecture I was captured by the beautiful prayer niches that form part of the inner mosques.  There were outstanding examples of this subject and was overwhelmed by the varied and intricate designs of all of them.  I then decided to make a design of my own which does not even come close to the workmanship of these pieces.

Having designed and made 9 banners for two local churches in my area I was fortunate to have all the right fabrics I could use - lots of gold and cording.  Looks very simple, but it took me quite a long time to actually get my design right. At first I used a stencil, which I placed on fabric and used oil paint sticks through the stencil design, but after putting this on my piece it just didn't work, so off that came, and I virtually had to start over.  In the end I used the blue and gold fabric which fortunately I had in my stash and which worked for me. The gold cord had to be glued on and then sewn over with metallic thread once the glue had dried, and I used metallic thread to quilt the central plain blue to mirror the floral at the top of my piece.





7 comments:

  1. This definitely deserves closer inspection Patricia, as you say it appears simple, but it's very effective. Your stitching is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect choice of fabrics and your quilting is stunning. Funny I did not think to look inside. Great interpretation of the prayer niches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very simple looking, and very effective. It always seems that the simpler pieces take the most thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this piece and think that your choice of design and the fabrics you chose are perfect . Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and effective. The fabrics work well with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way your fabrics all link together in harmony. Congrats on a deceptively simple design. Lots of thought went into it. Love the quilting. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia, your design is reminiscent of the beautiful mosaics that we see in so many mosques. You've simplified it beautifully and the fabric choices are great. Dianne

    ReplyDelete