Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2022

Gaudi?

I too went to Bracelona for the Quilt Expo, many years ago, and absolutely loved the Guell Park, so that was the obvious place to look for inspiration. I went through all my photos (and that took some time), rejecting the obvious candidates as I was determined, this time, to not just do a photo realistic copy of one of my pictures. Two photos stood out.
Later I realised that the first photo might not actually be designed by Gaudi as there was at least one house on the site before he started work. Hence the question mark in the title. I then turned to my favourite computer tool, Illustrator, to help me generate a spiral that I could use as a starting point. Whilst playing in the program, and with the help of Youtube videos, I found a shape I loved and started work.
The piece is 16 inches square, and some of the mosaic pieces ended rather smaller than I had expected. I initially outlined the main shape using a twin needle, but the line ended up too uneven and I wasn't happy with it. I couched gold thread over the edge, which improved the look of it, even if I worried I was veering too much towards Klimt rather than Gaudi. It also caused the entire piece to puff up, so my quilting in the plain spaces had to be denser than origianlly planned. It would also benefit from being blocked, but despite my smugness at starting early, I only managed to finish the piece late last night. Overall I'm pleased with it, and my husband likes it too which is always reassuring.

8 comments:

  1. Good gracious that stitching is crazy. Well done. Whether it was Gaudis or not the swirls, soft lines and mosaics all say Gaudi. I also had a Klimt moment with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely curvy design, Linda. Love it - I'm so an Art Nouveau person. It ticks all the boxes for me. H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, those mosaic pieces must be tiny but I love this abstraction. I found lots of swirls and spirals and was tempted, but couldn't work out how to represent them. You've cracked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely Linda, very delicate and well balanced. The mosaic is quite amazing with those tiny pieces and the quilting and gold sets it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really beautiful piece of work. Every single aspect of it is totally amazing. Those tiny pieces of the mosaic are incredible and the whole design really speaks to me. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent. The tiny mosaic pieces and the detailed quilting must have taken you ages.The couched gold thread works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exquisite piece Linda - well done! The gold cord really makes the lines so much neater - brilliant idea! Bonus when one's husband likes our piece too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this piece. The mosaic is so... mosaic! Well done, Linda!

    ReplyDelete